Pond Boss
Posted By: Joey Snake ID - 08/24/07 05:05 PM
Hello a lady from Texas wrote me asking about this snake. I am no snake guy, can anyone ID this snake for her and is it poisonious? She dont have a pond and lives in Texas. Thank You

Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Snake ID - 08/24/07 05:32 PM
My guess is a Black Rat Snake; any seconds?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Snake ID - 08/24/07 06:08 PM
I'll second the "BLack Rat Snake".

http://snrs.unl.edu/herpneb/snake/basicsnakekey.html
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Snake ID - 08/24/07 08:08 PM
Good ID from the link Shorty;

It's either that or a "Rattle Headed Cotton Moccasin".

CR
Posted By: ewest Re: Snake ID - 08/24/07 08:44 PM
Or the famous " Copperheaded Rattlemocassin " . \:\) See below.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...ite_id/1#import
Posted By: Sunil Re: Snake ID - 08/24/07 08:48 PM
"Rattle Headed Cotton Moccasin".

AKA "Real Bad Snake"

That reminds me, has anyone heard from Ed Richter? Haven't seen any posts from him for a long time now. As I recall, it was Ed who told the story of his swim with a real bad snake.
Posted By: Joey Re: Snake ID - 08/24/07 09:16 PM
Thank you everyone, I have to think its the Black Rat Snake, following all the links its prob also called a chicken snake. I will let the womaon know its prob a safe snake but I am sure no matter what its still a scary thing to a woman. Thanks again.
Posted By: letsrodeo Re: Snake ID - 08/24/07 09:17 PM
if that head is not smashed flat then i would say it is a pit viper of somekind there is a definant tryagle to the shape of it.
Posted By: robo2011 Re: Snake ID - 08/25/07 01:25 AM
Don't worry its definitely a black rat snake, we have them around our place all the time, they are completely non-venemous. They can still cause a scare, watch out, they will eat your chicken eggs!
Posted By: Alligator Re: Snake ID - 08/25/07 03:28 AM
My vote is a very dead rat snake.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: Snake ID - 08/25/07 03:42 AM
I have 2 that are hanging around the coop, ones got to be 6' and the other is about 3' If they get to the eggs before I do they will eat a half dozen eggs all of them if I don't check them each day. I have 13 hens that lay almost everyday a little slow with the heat. I caught on and chucked him out to the dogs and you could clearly see the egg in his body, but when I threw him out to the dogs he regurgitated that egg out in about 10 seconds. The dogs didnt know what to think about it and let it go. I dont mind so much since I cant eat a dozen eggs a day and I havent seen a single field rat ot mouse since they started hanging around
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Snake ID - 08/26/07 03:47 AM
The largest specimen I ever saw of rat snake nearly killed me ( by shock) one time when I was stepping out of the shower about the same time a 5 footer, (it seemed) decided to unfurl itself from behind the toilet and crawl across the bathroom floor.

I nearly tore the shower curtain down trying to clear the room.

I still laugh every time I think about it.

CR
Posted By: Alligator Re: Snake ID - 08/26/07 12:45 PM
Chip - I got a chuckle out of that too.

: )
Posted By: Joey Re: Snake ID - 08/26/07 01:35 PM
Do these snakes live in NC? I saw a few that could resemble it near my pond early is the season sunning. At first I thought a piece of garbage or a stick then WOW..... a freakin snake.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Snake ID - 08/27/07 02:51 PM
Jeezus, Chip. If that'd happened to my wife, she'd be looking for a new house...probably a new husband, too.
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Snake ID - 08/28/07 10:59 AM
Matt,
That happened when I was with my first wife, and my first house.
Chip
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Snake ID - 08/28/07 10:21 PM
Joey,
I'm pretty sure Rat Snakes are in NC as well, they are beneficial as long as they don't sneak up and scare you.
Chip
© Pond Boss Forum