Pond Boss

stocked 25 CC at about 6" each 3 springs ago in our 3/4 acre pond. I pulled him out today and just wanted to share for I am very pleased with their growth. Believe it or not the catfish don't eat the fish pellets, but my mom throws leftovers off the dock just about every night. \:\)
Muuummmmm. Dinner? Nice fish.
Congrats!

Maybe your mother should market that leftover supper! \:D
Make a deal with Purina - "Aquamax Leftovers"
Great looking fish, and great looking water in your pond. That's impressive growth for three years.

Have you got other types of fish in the pond, and are they as healthy?
That fish is in excellent body condition. Notice the lack of scars? Usually they look more beat up than that.
Here kitty kitty kitty! SWEET fish for only 3 years!
Just a little advice though... If you go to release a fish like that don't push in on the gills like you are in the picture or even touch the gills. Fish gills are very sensitive.
Nice looking cat.

There's a healthy blue gill population, there use to be some decent bass but I haven't caught any in the past 2 years. I caught one yesterday (about 7") and he looked kinda stunted. I guess these catfish are winning in the competition with the bass for food.

How do you hold a big catfish like this? after we netting him I tried to hold him by the mouth but he bite me and had some sharp ridges.. :0
Posted By: GW Re: Who said little ponds can't grow big fish? - 06/29/07 01:46 PM
VAPond, it looks to me like your pond needs more fishing. I'll pack my tackle, you send me your address............ \:\)
That is one Fat Cat and a nice BG. I know how you feel about getting big fish from a small pond. I have caught some nice fish from my small pond as well.

Congrats on the great Pond Bossing!
Hey, VAP, maybe that bluegill ate all yur bass. Verry nice.
That's a beautiful, health cat!

Especially impressive given the the acutely angled elbows of the bearer....right, Bruce?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cecil Baird1:
Just a little advice though... If you go to release a fish like that don't push in on the gills like you are in the picture or even touch the gills. Fish gills are very sensitive.
You mean people release fish like that? Not on my watch... \:D
I forgot to add that CC are my favorite species to catch. I'll fish for just about anything but prefer to catch CC. Nice fish!! \:D
I heard somewhere that a big CC over 6 or so lbisn't as good to eat as a ones under 5 lbs, Is this true? by the way I released this cat, gonna try to grow him even bigger :0
 Quote:
Originally posted by VAPond2003:
I heard somewhere that a big CC over 6 or so lbisn't as good to eat as a ones under 5 lbs, Is this true? by the way I released this cat, gonna try to grow him even bigger :0
I have had some CC get to be 8LBs or so in my pond and they have tasted just as good as the smaller ones. I think if they arae fed in a pond it doesn't matter how big they are.
\:\)
© Pond Boss Forum