Pond Boss
Posted By: slipbobby walleye! need info - 06/03/07 11:39 PM
Hi
I was just wondering if anyone has found any sites that contain info on mangaging walleye as far as habitat, feeding, spawning and such. I am in northern Wisconsin and haven't had much luck finding info on the walleye any help would be appreciated. my pond is 5-6 acres with moving water 5-15 feet deep.
does anyone have a walleye pond or any info

thanks guys
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: walleye! need info - 06/03/07 11:59 PM
Try searching for Walleye under "types of fish to choose". There are lots of discussions.
Here's one thread: http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000472#000000
Posted By: n8ly Re: walleye! need info - 06/04/07 02:52 AM
I am in central illinois and have raised walleye in a 3 acre pond 13' deep. They wont likely reproduce in a pond, mainly rivers. They love to eat small fish, and insect hatches. We hand feed ours fathead minnows and shiners, they are fun to watch.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: walleye! need info - 06/04/07 03:24 PM
Slipbobby - if you've read the past posts, and have further questions, post them here. We'll do our best to answer them. I've got walleyes in some ponds around here, and I'm about to the point of trying to use them as "secondary" fishes. It's really hard to manage for good walleye growth rates and still maintain control over the panfish in ponds, in my experience. I can grow big walleyes, but the perch tend to be abundant and small. When I crowd the walleyes and get better quality of the perch (lower density and bigger sizes), we had terribly slow growth on the walleyes.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: walleye! need info - 06/04/07 03:27 PM
How long do WE live?
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: walleye! need info - 06/04/07 04:19 PM
Theo, are you asking me how long walleyes live? You know better than that -- the answer is "it depends." \:\) Sorry, couldn't resist. Actually, we've got some 10 year old walleyes in one 22-acre pond. My son caught one last summer that was 29 inches! Whew. However, there are darn few left at that age. I'd say the bulk of them are gone by age 6 or 8??
© Pond Boss Forum