Pond Boss
Posted By: newtxpond Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 04:04 PM
I was just reading the posts on trespassers and I was wondering if anyone was just having problems with too many friends (suddenly). Since bought my place in the country and built the pond I have made the mistake of talking to people about the place. A natural thing to do with peolple at work and neighbors to make small talk about things you are doing. Did I start something that will be hard to stop. Examples. Told a guy that I know at work about the place now he shows up on his own and walks the place. Told guy @ work that I had hogs and maybe we can shoot some smoetime. Sice then he must have asked me a hundred times when we are going. And he asked me if he can bring friends. Brought neighbor out last week to fish and his wife asks about them camping out and bringing girl scout troop. Sorry for being so long but this is just a small list of the requests I've had. Am I wrong but can't you just let people come out when asked and leave it at that. Tired of people asking. What should I do?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 04:20 PM
I have learned to ignore people who have suddenly become "better" friends. However, some persist.

One of the ways I have of discouraging people:

Got any deer on your place?
Yup.

Do you allow hunting?
Yup.

Can I hunt there?
Sure. However, I'm sure that you would want to look it over to find a good place. I'll be there clearing brush all weekend. Why don't you come up and give me a hand. When we finish, I'll show you around. I guess I need to knock off early anyway. Maybe 3:00 or so. Get there a little after daybreak and I'll feed you breakfast. We can go to town for lunch. I know a good place. On Saturdays, I generally knock off about 4:30.

Dang, I wish you had asked earlier. My wife has me tied up this weekend.
No problem. I generally spend every weekend either clearing brush or moving rocks out of the pastures. That is, when I'm not stringing bob wire. I can always use a strong back. Bring some heavy duty gloves.

BTW, I've never turned down anybody who had a kid with them.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 04:21 PM
The list of people welcome at my place is fairly short. The list of people who are welcome when I'm not here is extremely short.

Like DD says, good friends will help take care of a country place in exchange for access. The mere mention of the myriad of tasks that need to be finished before fishing/hunting/etc. take place may reduce the number of "friends" you have seeking access by an amazing amount.

In 20 years I have never had any good friends show up to help bale hay (although I have actually had a few seriously offer to do so).
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 04:24 PM
There are about six people who I've given permission to come out here without me around. All of them have already proven their committment by doing various tasks to help out. One built me a dock, another tore down some old fence, etc, etc,.

Almost all of my in-laws aren't welcome unless I'm there to guide them.

I'm very cautious about giving permission. You should be too.
Posted By: newtxpond Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 04:45 PM
I think people have no idea how much work it is to have a place. I know I'm very fortunate to have a place but I think when people come out and you spend some time relaxing and fishing with them they think thats normal. They don't realize that you worked your rear off for years so you (and they) can relax for a few hours.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 05:37 PM
While I agree with Dave's comments about letting kids (with adults) get to enjoy the land, be careful of adults who "use" their kids as an excuse to be on your property.

For me, I allow any of my good, real friends to go to my pond whenever they want. Because I'm an absentee land owner, I encourage them to go and camp, or hunt with the assumption that they'll run off anyone they see there.

Anyone who is a marginal friend, or not a friend at all get's the same pat answer: NO.
Posted By: bobad Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 08:57 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by newtxpond:
I think people have no idea how much work it is to have a place. I know I'm very fortunate to have a place but I think when people come out and you spend some time relaxing and fishing with them they think thats normal.
You know, I think a big part of the reason we build our own ponds is to avoid the crush of people on public waters, and to not feel like we are imposing on friends by fishing their ponds. It sort of defeats the purpose of building a pond to let a lot of people fish.

That said, I have friends that have helped me with the pond, and they are more than welcome. I have relatives that didn't raise a finger to help, and short of causing a family feud, they won't be doing a whole lot of fishing. \:D

In all seriousness, I doubt I will let anyone fish unless I am with them. The reason is kids. I won't allow kids on my property without a PFD, even to pick berries or ride bikes.
Posted By: Jersey Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/13/07 11:07 PM
I bet they look kinda silly riding a bike with a PFD \:\)
Posted By: bobad Re: Friends and nieghbors - 03/14/07 12:36 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jersey:
I bet they look kinda silly riding a bike with a PFD \:\)
Ya, and maybe it will keep some of them away. \:\)
© Pond Boss Forum