Pond Boss
Posted By: 24Vford kasco ?s - 01/28/07 12:40 AM
i have found a used kasco pond areator thats a 1/2 horse power it was used for 1 month to keep ice off a lake would it be good for my 1/2 acre pond and whats it worth
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: kasco ?s - 01/28/07 12:56 AM
Is it a surface agitator or a circulator? I have both.
Posted By: Dwight Re: kasco ?s - 01/28/07 03:26 AM
Does it look like this?

1/2 HP circulator
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: kasco ?s - 01/28/07 03:32 AM
....or this?

Posted By: Dwight Re: kasco ?s - 01/28/07 03:38 AM
Bruce Condello -
Posted By: 24Vford Re: kasco ?s - 01/28/07 04:34 PM
yes thats exactly what it is
whats one worth thats been used one season
would it be as good as a bottom areator
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: kasco ?s - 01/28/07 09:10 PM
Yes, the 1/2 hp "circulator" should aerate the entire water column, and destratify a 1/2 acre pond if you run it 24/7. My 3/4 hp circulator aerated my 1.25 acre pond easily. Remember that circulation is simply the ability to expose most or all of your water to atmospheric diffusion of oxygen into the water. I extensively tested the O2 levels in my pond, and essentially what happens is that you dampen the highs and lows of O2 by constantly mixing. If your Kasco is a surface agitator then it will give you super high O2, but only in a very limited area near the unit, so I would only consider it an emergency refuge for fish in a DO crash.

I believe the warranty is at least three years on these units. Have you established if your warranty is still intact on the unit you wish to purchase? I believe you can find this new on the internet for somewhere in the 700 dollar range, so a guess would be that you would come out OK if you paid somewhere around 500-550 bucks. I'd pay that anyway.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: kasco ?s - 01/28/07 09:31 PM
Honestly, I'm just taking a stab at that number. Some of the aeration experts on this forum will forget more about aeration today than I'll know in my entire lifetime.

Anybody else?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: kasco ?s - 01/29/07 02:12 PM
really depends on depth and shape of your pond to use this as bottom diffuser. If you can get that used for $500 in good shape Bruce is right that is a good price. We have a client still running his Kasco 1/2 hp purchased in 1998.
© Pond Boss Forum