Pond Boss
Posted By: RennyK Mussels in pond - 11/07/06 10:13 PM
I was raking out some leaves in my upstate NY pond when I came upon 3 mussels. The largest one is 4.5 " long about 2" wide and 1" thick. Anything to worry about ?? I removed them and put them in a culvert overflow creek. They are doing fine and moving around. What do I do ??
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Mussels in pond - 11/07/06 10:19 PM
Do nothing. Don't sweat it. More than likely they, or their ancestors, came into to your pond by hitchhiking as a small parasite when the pond was stocked. They won't hurt anything and there is really nothing you can do about them.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Mussels in pond - 11/08/06 02:00 AM
Just curious. Did you stock any wild fish, or were all fish stocked as fingerlings from a hatchery?.
Posted By: Chad Fikes Re: Mussels in pond - 11/08/06 04:32 PM
Also, mussels are an indication of healthy water. They help to filter out impurities.
Posted By: RennyK Re: Mussels in pond - 11/09/06 01:26 AM
All fish were stocked as fingerlings from a hatchery?. I do have some turtles that show up once in a while from the nearby creek.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Mussels in pond - 11/09/06 01:39 AM
Typically the immature stage of freshwater mussels rarely occurs in fingerling hatchery fish. The hatchery must have FW mussels in some of their rearing ponds. Interesting occurrence.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Mussels in pond - 11/09/06 11:31 AM
Bill, all of my fish came from hatcheries and I have mussels. OK, some came off a fish truck that I assume was straight from a hatchery. However, I have no idea what hatchery or what conditions were present at the hatchery.
Posted By: bobad Re: Mussels in pond - 11/09/06 05:48 PM
If you're uncomfortable with the mussels, I bet adding a few RES would take care of them.
© Pond Boss Forum