Pond Boss
Posted By: new_water_ways Yet another question - 09/26/06 02:18 PM
Hubby has been working digging out a high spot in the pond since the water level is extremely low. My question is: He wants to pile the dirt, mostly clay, in a pile in the pond to make a small island. Manly to give the fish a place to swim around. He has dug around it making a larger cove. Our dozer man didn't do a good job, but that’s another story. Any way, will this pile of clay be a problem? As in will it just cause more trouble then help? It’s really small and we don't care if it is above water or below, manly just for structure.

Comments?

Posted By: donmorgan Re: Yet another question - 09/26/06 04:02 PM
I had the same situation in my pond several years ago when the water was down and I was excavating some dirt from another area of our property. I had it dumped, where the water used to be, in our pond. It has since filled and the top of the pile covered with grass (really looks pretty nice) Fish are always around it. Great place to fish and a good idea is my 2 cents......good luck
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Yet another question - 09/26/06 07:15 PM
I've got an island, and the shoreline all around it is always "brimming" (pun intended) with all kindsa fish, little to big. I think any change in depth is a good thing....

BTW...if it'll be submerged in the end, mark it somehow, so you can always find that "sweet spot".
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Yet another question - 09/26/06 08:43 PM
Thanks Guys I was hoping that was the answer I would get. We would always know where it is even if it were under water coz its by a post we had put in to mark depth. He also has a ledge behind it he says he wants to keep, its lower there then in front of it, as to give the fish a little bank to hide by as well. I hope all the other pond bosses have the same thoughts.
\:\)

BTW he has taken out a pile of dirt twice that big, and is still digging. I dont know if its the pond he is thinking about or he just likes playing with the tractor in the mudd. ;\)

He also wants to put rocks around the mound and some rip rap to keep it from eroding.

Thanks
Chris
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: Yet another question - 09/26/06 08:46 PM
islands in small to medium sized ponds do nothing for me aestetically (sp?). shallow area is ok. that pile will not be an island, dont worry about it.

nww, i forget, how old is your pond? what is on the levee in the background of the photo?
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Yet another question - 09/26/06 08:57 PM
cliffbrook the pond is 3 1/2 yrs old. This is the lowest water level we have had since it was built. The levee you see is the dam and the rock is rip rap. We have also added an overflow pipe, the water will only get to a foot below the top before it goes to the overflow. I'm not worried about the pile being an island just wanted to know it would do no harm.
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Yet another question - 09/26/06 08:59 PM
OHH and if you were asking what that is on top of the levee its a log hubby cut out to make a bench. \:D
Posted By: cliffbrook Re: Yet another question - 09/26/06 09:17 PM
how bout a close up picture of the bench? and a picture looking back from the bench.
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Yet another question - 09/27/06 02:28 AM
Sure cliffbrook,
here is the bench, its not real good but it is close up. LOL

Here is a picture from sitting on the bench.

Caught many a catfish sittin here. ;\)
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Yet another question - 09/27/06 02:54 AM

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Yet another question - 09/27/06 11:26 AM
Dang, I like that bench.
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Yet another question - 09/27/06 01:58 PM
Thanks Dave D1, It wasn't easy getting it to the dam tho, that thing is heavy. LOL we almost had a log in the pond. The tree died and he had to cut it down any way so I said lets make a bench. Then we put it in a small trailer and pulled it with the lawn mower lol. Poor people have poor ways. :p But it is handy, we sit there and watch the fish when we feed and of course use it when we fish.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Yet another question - 09/27/06 04:10 PM
I really like that bench also...what kind of tree was it?
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Yet another question - 09/27/06 04:38 PM
Meadowlark, thanks, I believe it was a Elm. We had a lot of Elm trees die last year.
© Pond Boss Forum