Pond Boss
Posted By: TedJ Aligator in West Ga Pond - 09/04/06 08:47 PM
I had some quests out today and the say they spotted a 5 foot aligator in my 2.5 year old pond. I am located in LaGrange Georgia. LaGrange is about 50 miles due north of Columbus Georgia located near the Ala line. I always thought aligators had to have a warm climate. I have never heard of one being in Troup County. If this is true what is the best way to get rid of it. It will freak my daughter in law out.
Ted
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Aligator in West Ga Pond - 09/04/06 09:33 PM
Dang, a five foot gator??? That would keep me out of the pond for a while.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Aligator in West Ga Pond - 09/05/06 01:01 AM
I think I would call the local Game and Fish guys. That would be the smart thing to do. I believe they are federally protected.

Of course, there are alternate ways.
Posted By: Frank Re: Aligator in West Ga Pond - 09/05/06 03:02 AM
Georgia has started allowing limited alligator hunting. You have to apply for a permit.

SEASON: Sept. 9-Oct. 1, 2006 for quota permit holders only. Bag Limit: One (1) alligator. Legal alligators must be greater than or equal to 48 inches in length as measured from end of the snout to tip of the tail.

See www.georgiawildlife.com for the DNR website. It has 2006 hunting and fishing regulations.

Frank
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Aligator in West Ga Pond - 09/06/06 01:30 PM
I'm about a hundred miles east of Dallas, but about the same latitude. Last winter we had one day that was 18 degrees, with allot of others that are well below freezing. Black ice is a major concern here. We also get snow a few times a year, but it rarely sticks or builds up. Two years ago, we had four inches that lasted half the day!!!

There are aligators all over the place here. The Sabine river is the county line about 6 miles north of me, and it's full of aligators. Some well over ten feet long!!!

I don't know what they do when it gets below freezing, or how they make it through winter, but there are enough of them to prove that they don't have any trouble with it.

Eddie
© Pond Boss Forum