Pond Boss
Posted By: overtonfisheries Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 02:35 AM
Because I forgot to smile in the pic, \:\) . And we've got one pic on the scales for Cecil to add to the record book. Thanks again to George.

Posted By: ewest Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 02:37 AM
Todd :

No pics. Just box with red x .
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 02:37 AM
Damn. I'm getting the evil white box with the red x.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 02:46 AM
All the earmarks of another evil deed by Dr. F
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 04:16 AM
Todd,

Look forward to getting the entry form and pic. Thank God my site is getting farther and farther way from a one man pony show.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 07:55 AM
Todd- I am seeing the picture just fine. Looks like you were having fun (except for the lack of smile)! \:\) These guys need to add .gif and .jpg to their accepted file types in their firewall settings or something is wrong. :p
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 12:31 PM
I'm seeing it and I get a lot of white boxes.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 02:44 PM
\:o \:D It comes and goes on my computer :rolleyes:
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 04:06 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by PondsForFun:
\:o \:D It comes and goes on my computer :rolleyes:
Mine too. I saw it fine this morning when our network is usually lightly loaded; do not get it now when we normally have a lot of users.

So if you haven't been able to see this big bruiser (and his catfish) yet, try again during off-peak hours.
Posted By: james holt Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/10/06 08:14 PM
Todd how much do these size fish sell for?
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/11/06 12:20 AM
Lets see James, He sells the over 1# size for $3 a pound so 34 X 3= $102! \:D I'll take a dozen! :rolleyes: Of the one pounders.
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/11/06 11:55 PM
Todd thats a nice looking animal right there. So you sale Bass Guzzlers as well. Do you sale Bass Guzzlers this size? If so how much are they? I might need about 25 of these..
Posted By: JB Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/12/06 12:01 AM
guys if you have a white box with a red X....Try to right click on it and look for Show Picture...I dont know if it will work for you, but it works for me.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/12/06 02:41 PM
Come on Todd, everyone is wanting to know if you sell BAGs (short for bass guzzlers since BG was taken)and how much! \:\) Put down that fly-rod for awhile and take care of some business. There are a few of us out here that don't have all those great ponds to fish in yet. \:D \:D
No, those fish aren't for sale. These fish just have too many years on 'em to let go, when just one or two like that one could fill our farm with fingerlings.

Maybe a fair question for anyone interested is...how much would you pay for a fish like that...or even a 50 lb fish? Maybe I'd change my mind...
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/12/06 04:23 PM
This past Fall '05, my fish guy came by with some big HSB. He also had some albino channel cats. I've been avoiding his nudgings to put in any albino fish in my pond because I prefer the natural look.

However, I've never seen any of the channel cats that I've stocked in the past (even though it's only been 20-25 in a 6-7 acre pond), so I said what the hell.

These Albino CC's were about 6-7 pounds each and were about 27" long each. I put in (3).

He charged me about $25 bucks each.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/13/06 01:11 AM
 Quote:
Maybe a fair question for anyone interested is...how much would you pay for a fish like that...or even a 50 lb fish? Maybe I'd change my mind...
I bid $75 on the 50# BAG, just to get the bidding started! Hey bidder bidder bidder do I hear $100? ;\) We are bidding on 50# bluecat offered up for bidding by Todd Overton!
Posted By: lanelda Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/17/06 01:15 AM
I always knew that you could out fish your brother.

LNS
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/17/06 02:47 AM
Todd do you still sale Bass Guzzler fingerlings? How much are they and when do you recomend stocking them.....Also what do you use as your brood fish? What kind of genetics do you have?
We sold out of blue catfish fingerlings this fall from the summer spawn. We'll have more fingerlings next fall. Our broodfish are from the D&B Strain, recognized for hardiness and fast growth, and developed by D&B fish farm of Crockett. That fish farm went out of business many years ago, but the strain remains. 4"-6" fingerlings sell for $65 per 100. Stock them in the fall. There might be more on the D&B strain of blue cats on the internet...not real sure.

Maybe I should list that big blue on EBAY??!!

And everyone please welcome Lanelda, my wonderful Aunt, to the forum. Quite a surprise to see her post. Her and my Uncle Ricky have some ponds on their place in Bowie that they need to stock if they ever fill back up again.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/17/06 03:25 AM
Good Evening, Lanelda
Posted By: ewest Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/17/06 04:16 AM
Welcome indeed Lanelda. \:\) Now we have someone on board that can keep an eye on Todd and let us know when he is kidding us. ;\) Welcome to you also Uncle Ricky.
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/17/06 12:36 PM
Welcome Lanelda! I hope you got some rain last night! \:\)
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/17/06 02:20 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by overtonfisheries:
We sold out of blue catfish fingerlings this fall from the summer spawn. We'll have more fingerlings next fall. Our broodfish are from the D&B Strain, recognized for hardiness and fast growth, and developed by D&B fish farm of Crockett. That fish farm went out of business many years ago, but the strain remains. 4"-6" fingerlings sell for $65 per 100. Stock them in the fall. There might be more on the D&B strain of blue cats on the internet...not real sure.

Maybe I should list that big blue on EBAY??!!

And everyone please welcome Lanelda, my wonderful Aunt, to the forum. Quite a surprise to see her post. Her and my Uncle Ricky have some ponds on their place in Bowie that they need to stock if they ever fill back up again.
I bet you are seeing more popularity for these fish these days.... \:D ....At least this is what I am hereing from other Fish dealers...
Well, overall the catfish fingerling market has dropped off considerably over the past 20 years. Nowadays most folks are interested in a "sportier" fish than catfish, such as LMB and HSB. Seems as if there is a notion now that catfish are more of an "ethnic" fish and less of a fish to brag about.

In addition, blues are even less popular than channels. Most folks have been steered away from blues by their respective fishery consultants.

We do have a niche market for these blue cat fingerlings...as there are still some pond owners with "blue blood."
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/17/06 10:48 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by overtonfisheries:
Well, overall the catfish fingerling market has dropped off considerably over the past 20 years. Nowadays most folks are interested in a "sportier" fish than catfish, such as LMB and HSB. Seems as if there is a notion now that catfish are more of an "ethnic" fish and less of a fish to brag about.

In addition, blues are even less popular than channels. Most folks have been steered away from blues by their respective fishery consultants.

We do have a niche market for these blue cat fingerlings...as there are still some pond owners with "blue blood."
Well I am the ones with the "Blue Blood" for sure....Why an "Ethnic" fish? I though crappie was the "Ethnic" fish? \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/18/06 12:34 AM
And I thought Blue Cats were a benthic fish.
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/18/06 12:39 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
And I thought Blue Cats were a benthic fish.
now what does "benthic" mean?
Theo's posts usually bring a smile to my face...
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/18/06 12:49 AM
 Quote:
Bottom dweller
Posted By: big_pond Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/18/06 06:23 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
 Quote:
Bottom dweller
well I can tell you Bass Guzzlers ARE NOT bottom dwellers. In Fact, Channels are not bottem dewllers either, they are more so bottom dwellers than Bass Guzzlers (BAGS). BAGS are more of a mid water fish in the wild. BAGS and Stripers are usually in the same waters, and feeding on the same bait fish. Bad mistake to think that Bass Guzzlers (BAGS) are scavengers, THEY ARE NOT!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pics of 34lb "Spinster" Blue Cat - 01/18/06 06:29 PM
Oh oh I think we have blue catfish lover here and you hurt his feelings. \:\(

Yes, I've been told that blues forage more on live fish just like stripers. Flatheads are a live feeder too aren't they?

I've seen channel cats in gill nets suspended far up off the bottom in reservoirs going after shad, and I've caught bullheads far off the bottom too. I think I still have the scars from taking channels out of gill nets! After a day of that it looked like I had been playing with razor blades! They sure can get tangled in a gill net!

Never say never in nature. Fish are very adaptive. If they weren't their species wouldn't be around anymore and they would join the legions of extinct species from long ago.
© Pond Boss Forum