Pond Boss
Posted By: thepork good idea or bad idea? - 06/22/04 05:40 PM
i have a small pond which i stocked myself with lmb and bg. as of now i have like 57 lmb in there andthe bg population is very limited so should i switch to pellet feed or should i go out and catch more bg and hope they spawn for next year? the lm are alwys feeding off of insects on top of the water so im thinking they might be able to be trained on the pellets i would appreciate your info
Posted By: Eastland Re: good idea or bad idea? - 06/23/04 12:29 AM
Generally the gbill need a real good head start on the bass, let's say 3 to 6 months. They'll breed like crazy if left alone.

Signs point to a big bass fish fry, if you stocked large ones. If you stocked smaller, you probably need to remove them. You will not recover without an excellent forage base.

SLOW DOWN..let nature take it's course...you have a LOT of time this summer to get the bgill established by adding large breeding adults.

Help me out...how big is your pond, and how many bgill did you put in ?
Posted By: thepork Re: good idea or bad idea? - 06/23/04 03:33 AM
umm my pond is like 200 by 50 and the bgill wereall over the place when i bought it so im not quite sure but im sure there were a couple hundred before the lmb were put in and they have only been in for about 2 months and they really put a dent in the bg population so make sure you have alot of bg.
Posted By: Jimmy Re: good idea or bad idea? - 06/23/04 10:18 AM
Definately sounds like you need to stock adult Blugill. How big were the bass that you stocked? That will determine what size bluegills to staock. The general feeling on this board is that bass aren't very good pellet eaters. Also do you have weeds or structure for the bluegill fry to hide? Like Eastland said, stock adult bluegill and give nature time to do it's thing.
Posted By: thepork Re: good idea or bad idea? - 06/23/04 12:23 PM
ok thanks for all of the help guys. about the coveri am putting in lillypads and grass where the bg always hide at so they havesome more cover for themselvs and i might even put in a spawning bed for them.
Posted By: Ed Richter Re: good idea or bad idea? - 06/23/04 01:47 PM
You probably know this, but bluegill spawn all summer and into the fall, as long as the water temp is right. So they can start recovering this year if you have some large ones left.
© Pond Boss Forum