Pond Boss
Posted By: Bushman Diggin existing pond bigger? - 04/18/03 02:11 AM
Hey folks, I'm brand new here and have a TON of qustions. But, here's a brief description of what I have...
a 1/4 acre pond that's 12 feet at the deepest point. No aeration yet, but has been professionally stocked at the hatchery's ratio.

My question first is that I wanna dig my pond bigger...maybe start at the other end of the new part and dig toward the existing part, then knock the "arm" that connects the two down. Is there anyone who has done this or who can give me some tips. I want to make the pond about 3/4 acre when done.

Also, I/m gonna put a windmill to aerate this summer. Any suggestions would help. Thanks!
Posted By: Ed Richter Re: Diggin existing pond bigger? - 05/08/03 12:36 AM
I am thinking along the same lines. My pond is 3/4 ac. Many of the oaks that I wanted to preserve on the shore died, so now I have room to expand. The way I see it, I have two options.

I can get a big backhoe to dig the pond bigger and hope that the fish (2 yr old pond) make it through the construction. And I have to hope that the pond does not start leaking when the layer of clay is breached. There is a good chance of it holding. If it starts leaking, I will have to drain the pond, wait for the bottom do dry enough for the dozer to move in, and have him spread some clay to seal the pond.

The other option is to drain the pond and use the dozer for everything. Don't know which one would be cheaper, or if saving the fish is worth the throuble.
Posted By: lakedoctor Re: Diggin existing pond bigger? - 05/09/03 02:39 AM
Bushman,I have done what you're talking about in the past.If you want to save the fish you might consider putting in an electric aerator to give you a 24 hour blanket of 02, it helps.Most of the windmills that you see today take a 5 mph wind to run.At night when there is dead calm you have no air flow at all.If you dig this pond make sure that you leave the levy that is cut out last as high as you can and wide enough to work safely off of with the track hoe and haul truck.If you run an ad in your local paper to sell the dirt you might even pay for it and put some change in your pocket. DOC
Posted By: Ed Richter Re: Diggin existing pond bigger? - 05/12/03 07:13 PM
I got the dozer guy out to my pond and we decided how to do this. He is going to bring in track hoe and excavate the low lying areas around the pond. I am going to have him go 5 ft deep from the overflow point. I lost maybe 2 ft of water through last summer, so that should give me about 30' by 50' area, 3 ft deep minimum.
Posted By: Bushman Re: Diggin existing pond bigger? - 05/13/03 01:06 AM
Thanks guys. I have a guy that has dug ponds coming out to take a look at what I have. He suggested the use of a track hoe. I'll see how he would do the job and try and post back here. Thanks, Bushman.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Diggin existing pond bigger? - 05/13/03 01:28 AM
A windmill will provide very marginal aeration for 3/4acre esp since there is a partial wall between the two basins. Don't expect much benefit then you won't be disappointed.
© Pond Boss Forum