Pond Boss
Posted By: TEC 2nd fish stocking - 02/28/24 03:43 PM
My one acre lake in East Texas was built in August last year. It's spring fed, 16 ft deep, and was over half full in a month when I added 10 lbs of fathead minnows and 500 3-4" CNBG. I have a Sweeney feeder for them.
Visibility is 3 ft, pH is 5.8, and the total alkalinity has always been low at about 10. With that much constant flow thru the lake I don't think I can fertilize or adjust the alkalinity. I've seen small minnows so something spawned but I don't know what.
Should I stock more forage fish now before adding Northern largemouth bass and when should I add the bass?
Posted By: Sunil Re: 2nd fish stocking - 02/28/24 04:09 PM
Your pond should be polluted with fatheads of all sizes right now. If you stare at a patch of water, where you think you see no fish, you should see very small fry, at least once the water temps are over 70 degrees.

I wouldn't think you need to add more forage at this time, but if money is not short, it shouldn't hurt anything.
Posted By: Jason D Re: 2nd fish stocking - 02/28/24 05:16 PM
When I first stocked FHM, I didn't think they were reproducing, Mid summer the water was crawling with babies. They bigger ones will stay out of eye site so don't get concerned.
I would wait until fall to add your Bass
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 2nd fish stocking - 02/29/24 12:08 AM
My thoughts. Stock predators when they can go to sleep with their mouth open and wake up with a full belly.
Posted By: Jason D Re: 2nd fish stocking - 02/29/24 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
My thoughts. Stock predators when they can go to sleep with their mouth open and wake up with a full belly.
That must be why my predators don’t touch feed or a hook
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 2nd fish stocking - 02/29/24 03:00 AM
Yeah, you might have them busting their britches
© Pond Boss Forum