Pond Boss
Posted By: NEDOC High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 02/26/20 09:26 PM
With the Aquamax MVP discussion below, I was curious if anyone sold a carnivorous diet (higher protein) sinking pellet in that 1/4" range. Seems like there are some options where it would be nice to use, or just mix in with floating pellets. Just curious.

Seems like it would also be easier to make it a high quality feed, as the carbs wouldn't be needed to keep it afloat. Just hoping to start a discussion.
Posted By: Sunil Re: High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 02/26/20 09:51 PM
Did we ever determine if "NEDOC" stands for Nebraska Department of Corrections, or Nebraska Doctor???
Posted By: NEDOC Re: High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 02/26/20 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Did we ever determine if "NEDOC" stands for Nebraska Department of Corrections, or Nebraska Doctor???

BOTH!! smile
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 02/27/20 12:27 AM
Most fish-meal based feeds are extruded. That's why they need any grain at all, so the feed can be extruded in order to float. The only sinking feeds I know are designed for catfish and are grain-based.
Posted By: Sunil Re: High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 02/27/20 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
Originally Posted By: Sunil

BOTH!! smile

Ha!! I feel like I asked that question like over a decade ago, and then today I was wondering....like I never knew the answer!
Posted By: esshup Re: High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 03/06/20 05:13 PM
Optimal makes a sinking food for feeding Cobia. Optimal can make any food that you desire, they have a small batch mill, but it sure won't be the same price as the regular feed. They custom blend fish foods for a lot of aquaculture customers. Price per bag will depend upon volume purchased, it takes the same labor to set up the mill to run a tiny batch as a couple ton batch. For larger orders or production runs they have a much larger mill that they use.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 03/06/20 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by esshup
Optimal makes a sinking food for feeding Cobia. Optimal can make any food that you desire, they have a small batch mill, but it sure won't be the same price as the regular feed. They custom blend fish foods for a lot of aquaculture customers. Price per bag will depend upon volume purchased, it takes the same labor to set up the mill to run a tiny batch as a couple ton batch. For larger orders or production runs they have a much larger mill that they use.

Very interesting. Makes me think IF there are a number of Pond Meisters that would be interested in experimenting this spring we could have Dustin make us a few bags and report back to him. I know for a fact Dustin likes sinking feeds more than he does floating feeds.
Posted By: esshup Re: High Protein Sinking Feed.... - 03/06/20 05:26 PM
Give him a shout! From what I was told, the Cobia are fed via a long tube that dumps the feed at "X" depth, it's not tossed on top of the water to let sink down. I'm assuming they put the feed in the tube, then flush it down with water.
© Pond Boss Forum