Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k Bald cypress trees?? - 11/28/17 11:00 PM
Has anyone planted bald cypress trees at their shoreline? I lover their look but know they need much water - have seen some over the years that really grew well next to ponds
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 11/28/17 11:35 PM
I think they are really cool looking trees. If I could grow one here I think I would sacrifice the water.
Posted By: tim k Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 11/28/17 11:43 PM
we had one at our lake house and they are awesome - got to have lots of water to really grow so I am considering a couple on my shoreline
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 11/28/17 11:57 PM
We've got 9 or 10 and love them. But, we've got a lot of water. Beavers chewed 2 to stumps, and they both came back from the stumps. I usually plant them in the fall when the water level's down, and they do fine being a foot or two deep by spring.
Posted By: Tbar Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 11/29/17 12:16 AM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
We've got 9 or 10 and love them. But, we've got a lot of water. Beavers chewed 2 to stumps, and they both came back from the stumps. I usually plant them in the fall when the water level's down, and they do fine being a foot or two deep by spring.

I have two as well. I put net wire around them to keep beavers off of them.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 11/29/17 12:53 AM
I do too, now. I'm slow to learn.
Posted By: Tbar Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 11/29/17 02:42 PM
Mine start yellowing late summer/early fall. They have knees at the ponds edge so I know they are getting water. They are in iron ore sand so I know don't have an iron deficiency.
Posted By: james holt Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 12/23/17 06:20 PM
I love bald cypress tress. I have planted twenty so far and they are doing well. Home depot and lowes sell them in the spring. I have also planted pond cypress trees which are another really cool tree you can plant in the water. I bought them from the internet as sticks
Posted By: tim k Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 12/24/17 10:43 AM
Originally Posted By: james holt
I love bald cypress tress. I have planted twenty so far and they are doing well. Home depot and lowes sell them in the spring. I have also planted pond cypress trees which are another really cool tree you can plant in the water. I bought them from the internet as sticks

did you plant yours at waters edge or are they actually in the water and does it make a difference? I assume as long as the roots reach the pond water they will thrive?
Posted By: ewest Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 12/24/17 02:37 PM
I like the look also. Keep in mind that they spread all over the pond and can take over the pond bank by spreading.
Posted By: RAH Re: Bald cypress trees?? - 12/24/17 05:07 PM
I planted mine at the waters edge and later raised the water level. I do not have to worry about seedlings in my neck of the woods. Kids should arrive soon and then off to a gathering of long time friends.
© Pond Boss Forum