Pond Boss
Posted By: Kaos Offspring Already? (update 7-3-17) - 02/07/17 03:31 AM
I put 500 Hybrid Blue Gill, 200 Redear Bream and 10# minnows in my new 3/4 acre pond back in October. While checking the overflow pipe the other day I noticed a lot of minnows in the eroded puddle under the pipe on the backside of the dam. Today I took a dip net out to put the minnows back in the pond and was surprised to see they were small fish, not minnows. I didn't realize the fish would reproduce so quick!
I'm just not sure if they are Blue Gill or not. Please help identify, thanks.
Link to video of me catching them.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8bjgksu8sz2dqf/2017-02-06%2019.37.45.mp4?dl=0

Attached picture Fish.jpg
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 04:09 AM
IMO not BG. Maybe GSF? Does your pond over flow run to a creek or other BOW?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 11:28 AM
How big were the RES? To me thoses look like young of the year (YOY) BG or RES.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 03:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
IMO not BG. Maybe GSF? Does your pond over flow run to a creek or other BOW?

No. my pond runoff is on dry ground for several hundred yards before it drains into a creek in the woods and my pond is only feed by watershed from approx 10 acres.
That would be a "ton" of GSF for a pond less than a year old, wouldn't it?
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty

The Redear Bream were probably 2" on average, much bigger than these little things.
If I have this many in this little puddle, I can't imagine how many are in the pond.
I am planning on putting bass in the pond during the spring.

Edit: After reviewing a picture of the fish as we put them in the pond (see other post below) the fish were quit a bit bigger than 2".
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 04:25 PM
GSF are green sunfish. They would happily come from the creek to your over flow pipe when water is flowing between the two points. Have you had any rain events where you've had over flow from the pond running across the ground to the creek?

I doubt your 2 inch RES and BG have spawned since October.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 04:31 PM
Thanks for the GSF definition, lol. I found the acronym page also.

No, literally impossible for my pond to connect with any other body of water. For instance, we had a 1000 year flood in this area (South Louisiana) last year after my pond was built and my pond still did not connect with any other water.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 04:51 PM
Someone bucket stocked your pond.

One of your old posts was this:
'I just built a 3/4 acre water shed pond. Has about 10-15 acres runoff to it. Deepest parts are 8 - 9 ft with one end being 2 ft or less in places. This was already a low area that water ran through my property.
Now I am working on creating cover for fish (Bass, Sac-a-Lait, Bluegill, Catfish) before the pond fills.'

Water runs through this low area where you pond was? Was it dry ground before you began building the pond?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Kaos

The Redear Bream were probably 2" on average, much bigger than these little things.
If I have this many in this little puddle, I can't imagine how many are in the pond.
I am planning on putting bass in the pond during the spring.

RES reach sexually maturity around the 5" mark and a late fall spawn would not be be unheard of. Based on your stocking size I am thinking someone may have bucket stocked your pond or some fish made their way in during a high water event.

The picture below is a mix of RES and golden shiners (GSH) from my pond. At small sizes different types of sunfish are hard to tell apart.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 05:26 PM
I've seen and worked with lots of small GSF and those are not young GSF. In your video there was at least one fathead minnow flipping in the net. This indicates to me that all these fish came from the pond. It is remotely possible that in LA when there was a fish stocking in October that a few of the stocked fish were large enough to spawn. Sunfish especially those raised in the South can easily spawn at 2.5"-3" long and several of your stockers were likely that large.

Those small fingerlings could be small RES. Keep a good eye on what grows this year to get a better view of them as larger individuals. These small sunfish with ample food could easily be 5"-7" long by October 2017. Catch some of them and provide more pictures to this thread for the 'rest of the story'. When you add your bass latter this year try to locate some that are 3X longer than those small sunfish which means at least some bass 4"-6" long. These larger bass will grow really well on those small sunfish.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 06:44 PM

RES reach sexually maturity around the 5" mark and a late fall spawn would not be be unheard of. Based on your stocking size I am thinking someone may have bucket stocked your pond or some fish made their way in during a high water event.

I cannot stress enough, this pond has not connected with any other body of water! Also, no one has bucket stocked it either. This pond is in a remote area and I have multiple trail cameras around it.
Thanks for the reply and picture.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 06:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Bill, I will keep this post updated.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 06:49 PM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Someone bucket stocked your pond.

One of your old posts was this:
'I just built a 3/4 acre water shed pond. Has about 10-15 acres runoff to it. Deepest parts are 8 - 9 ft with one end being 2 ft or less in places. This was already a low area that water ran through my property.
Now I am working on creating cover for fish (Bass, Sac-a-Lait, Bluegill, Catfish) before the pond fills.'

Water runs through this low area where you pond was? Was it dry ground before you began building the pond?

The area I built the pond was a natural water shed area, never held water and does NOT connect to other water.
No one bucket stocked my pond.
Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 07:13 PM
Did your game cameras capture footage of any herons or kingfishers around the pond?

If the fish came from the stocker then it is possible that the stocker stocked more than you bargained for?

If you can get a current sampling of 4-5" fish that were from the original stocking then we may have a theory that is supported by the facts. Can you put out more stationary fish traps? Try fishing for sunfish with tiny hook and worm?

The sooner you know the answers to these questions the better we can help you decide if you will meet your goals or if you have been dealt a change in plans by the invisible bucket stocker, raccoon who dropped both a male and female adult fish at the same time, or if a GBH burped as he banked over your pond.

Trust me, we aren't picking on you, it just seems all bodies of water have fish show up in them and we all have our ideas how it happened. I would have been in your camp insisting that bucket stocking isn't possible, but later I found out that it does happen despite our best intentions.

The good news is that if you find fish mature enough to spawn and your growing conditions are good enough that you can get this much growth this quickly then you will be having a bonanza of fish and will have plenty of interesting balancing dilemmas in the future as you plan for your future predator/forage balance.

Keep us posted with pictures and your trap experience. Galvanized Gee traps painted in earthtone colors are good. I have had some good success with some cheap ebay pyramid and circle style minnow soft fabric mesh traps for all sizes of fish.
Posted By: ewest Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 07:52 PM
They could easily be RES or cross HBG X RES fry. In newly stocked southern ponds sunfish will try to spawn ASAP. Often at 3-4 inches. With the warm weather that is the most likely situation.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 08:45 PM
Interesting. I knew BG could spawn at less than a year of age but I thought RES needed to be in their second year to reach sexual maturity like PS.

I missed in the original post that the stockers were HBG not BG. Theoretically, about 25 of the HBG stocked were female. Maybe the little fish in the pic are just HBG F2 (HBG X HBG)?
Posted By: RER Re: Offspring Already? - 02/07/17 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
They could easily be RES or cross HBG X RES fry.

you will have Georgia Giants :-)
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 01:05 AM
Out of curiosity, I wanted to read up on YOY RES spawning and my attempt to find info is coming up blank. Does anybody have a link to a site(s) with that info. Everything I keep finding says they are not sexually mature enough to spawn until age 2. Here's a few of the sites I've checked out. I suspect there is an "It Depends" somewhere in the discussion but I can't find it.

http://fisheries.tamu.edu/pond-management/species/redear-sunfish/

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/sunfish/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/242253727_Maturation_and_Fecundity_01_Redear_Sunfish

Thanks!
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 02:00 AM
Those fish look similar to hybrids to me. The vertical bars are indicative, as is mouth size. Mouth of those little critters is slightly larger than a redear or bluegills. Those babies are definitely not green sunfish, nor bluegills. They look similar to baby redear sunfish, except for those vertical bars and slightly larger mouth. My bet is hybrid.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 02:30 AM
Thanks for chiming in Bob,

Do you have experience that YOY RES are sexually mature enough to spawn? I have been hesitant to say in this thread that the babies have RES genes just because my understanding, until now at least, is RES do not typically reach sexual maturity until age 2 but definitely not less than 1 year of age. I guess my assumption up to now is that sexual maturity of any species (fish or animal) is a function of age with a +/- , not necessarily a function of size. Is that wrong when it comes to fish?

Thanks,

Bill D.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 02:56 AM
BillD. Here are your rerferences for RES spawning late in their 1st yr of life:
1. Wilbur, R,L.1969. The redear sunfish in Florida. Fla. Game Freshwater Fish Comm. Fish Bull. 5:1-64.
2. Brown H.W. 1951. Results of stocking largemouth bass and channel catfish in experimental Texas farm ponds. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc, 80:210-217.
Normally spawning occurs in the 2nd yr as you are see in your sources.

IMO Bob L has the best guess. These are offspring of the HBG who can grow and mature quickly at small sizes.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 03:18 AM
Bill, I have been working on sexing RES and as a general rule of thumb I wouldn't try to sex a RES under 5-1/2" in length, the results are just too iffy. With that said could they sexual mature at smaller size? My guess is yes they could and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in a newly stocked pond that lacks large mature male RES. We know that the presence of large male BG can suppress the sexual maturity of smaller male BG, I'm guessing RES follow a similar pattern. Age, size, and for the lack of a better term, "social structure", can play a role when sexual maturity starts.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 03:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
BillD. Here are your rerferences for RES spawning late in their 1st yr of life:
1. Wilbur, R,L.1969. The redear sunfish in Florida. Fla. Game Freshwater Fish Comm. Fish Bull. 5:1-64.
2. Brown H.W. 1951. Results of stocking largemouth bass and channel catfish in experimental Texas farm ponds. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc, 80:210-217.
Normally spawning occurs in the 2nd yr as you are see in your sources.

IMO Bob L has the best guess. These are offspring of the HBG who can grow and mature quickly at small sizes.

Thanks Bill!

I haven't found those actual papers yet but I have found many others that refer to them. Thanks so much for digging them up!

Posted By: ewest Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 04:02 AM
I think some are crosses and some RES as noted above. They are not all the same. Chances of HBG spawning all those in that small area are not large as they are mostly male and studies on HBG find few offspring even in ponds with no predation (only a couple thousand ) in entire ponds.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 04:58 AM
Thanks for all the help!!
I found this picture I took of my wife and I letting the fish go into the pond October 19, 2016. Gives a good idea of the size in the first pic.

Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 05:22 AM
My experience with fish is that size is more important than age. I've been surprised over the years with that. I've seen quite a few ponds under-stocked with bass...like 20 per acre of yoy fish in the spring and the following spring a handful of the fastest growers spawned at 9-10 inches.
I've seen that with bluegills and redears, too. It doesn't take many. And, I've seen males produce milt at younger ages.
There is a caveat, though. The only time I have been able to confirm that is during the first twelve months of a newly stocked lake. After that, there's no way to prove it.
The fish in the photos above are plenty old enough to spawn. If one or two of those hybrids are girls and one or two redears are big enough, they could do it, even in the fall. Seems weird, but I see weird all the time.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 05:43 AM
Bob, thanks for your input.
I feel fortunate to have them spawn so quick, wasn't expecting it for sure.
I see weird all the time too, good and bad, lol.
Posted By: snrub Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 12:20 PM
I have observed RES in my forage pond in late summer, the first year after stocking in the spring, 4-5" males on nests. They were 1-3" when stocked.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 03:07 PM
Just for fun, here are some YOY RES pics, notice the faint vertical stripes?

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 03:52 PM
Your wife and her photography is a hero again! Give her a kiss! Holy Crap - some of those stocker fish that you released were 5" long. They were plenty big enough as B.Lusk says to spawn. Your small fish below your dam are offspring of your October stocking. As I mentioned earlier, this fall they should be, after 10 months of growth, 5"-7" long and recognizable as to what they are.
Posted By: ewest Re: Offspring Already? - 02/08/17 04:25 PM
Like Shorty I have seen yoy RES with bars/stripes. There is a pic of one and a discussion if I can find it. Notice also the eye color on your fish from behind the dam and the one Shorty posted. Good work by all.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Offspring Already? - 02/09/17 02:13 AM
... They are not all the same. ...

+1 For example, the fish in the top center of the photo appears to me to be different than the vertical fish on the left.

I have learned a lot from this thread. It will be interesting to see these guys when they get bigger.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 04/03/17 02:27 AM
Decided to try and catch a few to see what size they are now. Picture is biggest I caught. Date is 3/31/17.

Posted By: ewest Re: Offspring Already? - 04/03/17 04:26 PM
That fish is big enough to spawn. My guess is that is a HBG. I would also guess it is a GSF X CNBG.
Posted By: farmallsc Re: Offspring Already? - 04/03/17 06:44 PM
How long did it take you to get them that size?
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 04/04/17 02:35 AM
Originally Posted By: farmallsc
How long did it take you to get them that size?

I stocked the (new) pond on 10/13/16.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 04/04/17 02:41 AM
That fish is big enough to spawn. My guess is that is a HBG. I would also guess it is a GSF X CNBG.

Sorry, I'm still learning all this. Can you explain what you mean?
I thought this was no doubt a HBG. Do you think it is a cross between two other fish?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Offspring Already? - 04/04/17 03:23 AM

Sorry, I'm still learning all this. Can you explain what you mean?
I thought this was no doubt a HBG. Do you think it is a cross between two other fish?

I'm not ewest (he's purtier), but I'll answer the question....HBG is the acronym for Hybrid Bluegill, which is a cross species fish. ewest is saying he agrees, it is a Hybrid, but, a cross between a Green Sunfish (GSF), and a Coppernose Bluegill (CNBG). The "typical HBG is a cross between a Green Sunfish and a Northern, or "straight" Bluegill (BG).
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 04/04/17 05:01 AM
Thanks Rainman for the clarification.
Posted By: ewest Re: Offspring Already? - 04/04/17 04:52 PM
Exactly Rex - thanks!

Kaos do you have any more pics of that fish? Where did you get your stocker fish?
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 04/05/17 05:40 AM

Kaos do you have any more pics of that fish? Where did you get your stocker fish?

Only this one other picture...
I got my fish from Dunn's Fish Farm. Their delivery truck came to a nearby city and I picked them up there.
Thanks

Posted By: ewest Re: Offspring Already? - 04/05/17 02:58 PM
Thanks for the pic.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Offspring Already? - 04/05/17 04:10 PM
I'll be curious how those fish do. Please keep updating as you go along. smile
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 04/05/17 11:20 PM
@sprkplug - will do.
Posted By: Kaos Re: Offspring Already? - 07/03/17 11:43 PM
UPDATE ON BASS: 7/3/2017

I put F1 Bass in the pond on May 12 (see pic below).
We caught a bass yesterday, I couldn't believe the size of this thing compared to the size we put in about six weeks ago. This thing was fat too. Is this average growth?
I can't imagine a fish growing this fast.
The BG are not growing this fast.
See the pics below.
FWIW; This pond just turned a year old.

Bass May 12, 2017

Fish caught yesterday.

Posted By: ewest Re: Offspring Already? - 07/04/17 03:00 AM
It is possible but not likely .
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Offspring Already? - 07/04/17 02:32 PM
Kaos - Without actual length measurements and from my estimated lengths of each bass (start 115mm, end 228mm in 48 days) and calculations the bass would have had to grow 2.3mm per day. I've recorded fast growing predators can grow up to 2mm per day. We have to keep in mind that a few of the stocker bass could have been slightly larger than the one you photographed. If the pond was full of the right size foods, this amount of growth for F1 bass is possible as ewest says. One way to be more confident that the July 03 bass came from the ones stocked is if you can catch several others which indicates they are from the ones stocked back on May 14.

Try fishing soon for more of them AND get some actual length measurements of them so a better estimate and record can be obtained. Then I can put this growth info in the bass management archives section. When you are catching and measuring more, there should be a normal size variation of slower growing vs fastest growing bass as shown in this example where some 3" stocked bass were 8.75" and a few were 11" after 4.5months.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=377877#Post377877
Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors Re: Offspring Already? - 07/04/17 03:16 PM
Where did you get your bass from? and I agree with Bill F1`s are known to grow very fast. I was told by suttle fish farm my 2.5" bass can grow to 12" in just 90 days with lots of the right size forage
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Offspring Already? - 07/04/17 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors
Where did you get your bass from? and I agree with Bill F1`s are known to grow very fast. I was told by suttle fish farm my 2.5" bass can grow to 12" in just 90 days with lots of the right size forage

That is amazing...faster growth than satiated CC.
Posted By: snrub Re: Offspring Already? - 07/04/17 05:38 PM

Only this one other picture...
I got my fish from Dunn's Fish Farm. Their delivery truck came to a nearby city and I picked them up there.
Thanks

I have got three different batches of fish from Dunn's. The first batch was unsatisfactory in that the fish were in poor condition and had off species. I bought RES and got not only RES but hybrids and even more than a few either FHM or BNM. I complained and they did make it right with me with replacement fish. Both batches of fish I got from Dunn's at later dates have been fine. They included more RES along with CNBG, F1 LMB and FHM.

I reread this thread and it seems by the posts some may have been under the impression BG had been stocked. Kaos clearly stated that RES and HBG had been stocked, so it is no surprise that he is catching fish that look like hybrids. That is what he stocked.

Dunn's really push the HBG and since they also sell CNBG I would have to asssume their HBG are a cross GSFxCNBG rather than the more common northern BG.

© Pond Boss Forum