Pond Boss
Posted By: jtwhitley HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 02:37 PM
Guys,
As some of you may remember I'm planning on stocking 30 HSB in my new 1/2 ac small pond in North Texas. The CNBG and FHM populations are fully established over the last 8 months. I was planning on getting some Overton stocker HSBs in the Spring. However, the section of the West Fork of the Trinity River that runs through our place has a bunch of 1-3Lb HSBs trapped in some lower water now after the big floods. I could easily "save" a few and relocate to the pond that has no other predator fish at this time. I know the fishery HSBs are a different cross and not sure how the wild ones will do. Any thoughts from the group to help make my decision?

thx John
Posted By: james holt Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 03:48 PM
My first question would be are they hsb or sand bass? Sand bass are very common in the Trinity river. Do you want sand bass in your pond? I don't know. Do you have a picture showing the side of the fish?
Posted By: ewest Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 04:08 PM
How do you know what cross is in the river ? Sand Bass may not be able to reproduce in a pond. More info needed.
Posted By: esshup Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 04:36 PM
What about the new regulations in Texas that says that water shouldn't be moved from one BOW to another? i.e. all bait wells must be drained.
Posted By: jtwhitley Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 05:18 PM
We have both sandies and HSB in the river, the HSB are much larger and have broken lines on their sides
Posted By: jtwhitley Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 05:23 PM
The goal is to have a fixed amount of trophy fighting fish in the pond without reproduction
Posted By: esshup Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 05:33 PM
Originally Posted By: jtwhitley
I know the fishery HSBs are a different cross and not sure how the wild ones will do. Any thoughts from the group to help make my decision?

thx John

John, what is the fishery cross genetics vs. the wild cross?

i.e. what's the difference?
Posted By: jtwhitley Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/13/15 07:25 PM
According to Overton, their HSB stockers are different male/female Sandy/Striper cross than occurs naturally in the lakes, not sure the exact details
Posted By: TGW1 Re: HSB - stock Wild or Fishery? - 11/14/15 12:01 AM
30 hsb 7" in length is not a costly stocking price. You could spend as much just two people going to a movie with cokes and popcorn. And you will know what u have.

Tracy
© Pond Boss Forum