Pond Boss
Posted By: lilyperch water from gutters into pond - 07/26/15 02:18 AM
I know I have read about using water from gutters that drain into pond. Now I can't find links. I have metal roof on gar shop with first 10 gallon trap. Very large roof captures alot of water and am thinking to connect to 6" pvc into pond. Do this at surface or below and is drain pressure great enough to flow into pond?. This runoff would be after filling 300 gallon water tank for garden etc. 1/2" rain from roof is over 1000 gallons. Water quality is excellent due to trap catching misc debris and bird droppings.
Thanks for help.
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/26/15 02:59 AM
Only thing I would say is that it will take 54,000 gallons of water to bring your pond up 1 inch. I don't know that you will see a great ROI with 2000 gallons per inch of rain for your 2 acre pond.
Posted By: lilyperch Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/26/15 04:32 AM
Water level not the concern. Why waste the water. Would it be beneficial to fish or harmfull? I know it would be cleaner than ground runoffI just had better idea, i have 2 more 300 gallon tanks, I just do gravity fountain through 2 inch pvc with holes in cap.
Posted By: ToddM Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/26/15 11:51 AM
Not only do my gutters drain into the pond but I have a sloped yard with a drain that attaches to the gutter lines and picks up the yard runoff as well. It is all considered "clean" water even though I have a shingled roof. I have a pretty large roof and with a small watershed I need every drop.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/26/15 03:53 PM
That makes good sense to me.
Posted By: lilyperch Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/27/15 02:51 AM
Great idea for ground water. I have a large watershed but the drain idea would lessen unwanted runoff issues. Beautful place you have.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/27/15 04:12 AM
At one time we owned a home with a very swampy back yard. We turned the back yard it into a pond. To keep the swamp from coming back, we diverted the roof water into a pond we built. It gave us a very nice back yard, and it helped keep the pond at full pool most of the time.
Posted By: Boburk Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/28/15 02:30 AM
I have thought of doing the same. Only priced one place, but the 6 inch pipe was more than twice the price of the 4 inch....so thought of running two 4 inch.

Would be five down spouts total. Two go into a 2500 gallon tank I use for my trees and pool....I could run an overflow from the tank into the pipe. One off the carport that normally goes into the pool...and two that don't exist yet, but looking at adding more gutters.

Sean
Posted By: Boburk Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/28/15 02:29 PM
I see a problem with a yard drain. The reasons why I wanted to run pipes is to get water away from the house, help keep the pond full, and to keep water from running across my yard into the pond. Any chemicals (fertilizer, bug spray, weed killer, etc) would get washed into a yard drain, and into the pond... This is something I wanted to prevent by Installing the pipes.

Sean
Posted By: ToddM Re: water from gutters into pond - 07/28/15 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Boburk
I see a problem with a yard drain. The reasons why I wanted to run pipes is to get water away from the house, help keep the pond full, and to keep water from running across my yard into the pond. Any chemicals (fertilizer, bug spray, weed killer, etc) would get washed into a yard drain, and into the pond... This is something I wanted to prevent by Installing the pipes.

Sean
Any chemicals in your watershed area will end up in your pond. I only use weed and feed once a year which is not enough to have any effect on the water chemistry. I use some lime and standard fertilizer occasionally which also has no effect.
© Pond Boss Forum