Pond Boss
Posted By: J. E. Craig What are they? - 06/13/14 07:18 PM
As the sun came up this morning, I watched a pod (10 feet in diameter)of very small fish stir up the waters surface (3 acre retention pond in North FL), moving up & down the shore line perhaps 10 to 15 feet from the waters edge. They would move along for 5 minutes or so & then disappear only to reappear a minute or so later.

At noon today I saw a small pod perhaps 2-300 little fish 1-1.5 inches long. They looked like any other small yoy fish to me. The only fish I recognized in the pod was a 3 inch yoy LMB. Just a 3 foot wide ball of nondescript fish. When the pod had moved off, it appeared that a group of 2 or 3 10-12 inch LMB would charge through the pod of fish, repeatedly.

Gizzard shad? Tilapia? Shiners? Carp? CNBG have been on their beds for about a month? They are not any form of catfish. Sorry no pictures.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What are they? - 06/13/14 07:37 PM
Could be just about anything.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: What are they? - 06/13/14 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Except elephants, probably not elephants!!! grin
Posted By: JKB Re: What are they? - 06/13/14 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247

grin I needed a chuckle after today grin
Posted By: kenc Re: What are they? - 06/13/14 08:32 PM
They were probably shad. I have them in a 13 acre pond and you can see as many as 30 groups at a time finning on top of the water. They are most active in my ponds at sunset or later. Ospreys and eagles love them and hang around quite a bit.
Posted By: Sunil Re: What are they? - 06/14/14 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247

Yeah, good one!!
Posted By: Snakebite Re: What are they? - 06/14/14 05:04 AM
100% they weren`t a ball of bullheads? I see yoy school up in black clouds on calm water days.
Posted By: MSC Re: What are they? - 06/14/14 02:55 PM
I was also going to say bullheads. I have seen them traveling in a big cloud like that.

Since your in Fla I'll throw this in...Snakeheads also do that. smile
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: What are they? - 06/14/14 02:56 PM
I have seen the shiners do that when they are open water spawning as a group. Kind of a big orgy and really wild bait ball frenzy.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: What are they? - 06/15/14 03:12 AM
I've seen lots of species doing that and not only forage species.
© Pond Boss Forum