Pond Boss
Posted By: Steve2013 What is happening here? - 03/22/14 04:24 PM
Carried a water sample to extension agent. He told me I needed 3 tons of lime per acre in pood. The ponds in east Texas and is 3 acres. Had guy a come out and put 8 tons of lime in the pond with a boat. Carried a sample to agent he said I needed 2 tons of lime per acre. Called the feed store and they brought out a spreader truck with 7 1/2 toms of lime and spread in 2 places. That was ten days ago, carried a sample to agent yesterday. He just called and said I need 2 tons of lime per acre. That 151/2 tons and not much progress. Anybody got any ideas?
Posted By: Bocomo Re: What is happening here? - 03/22/14 05:26 PM
How long are you waiting between sampling?
Posted By: Steve2013 Re: What is happening here? - 03/22/14 05:32 PM
Been waiting ten days too two weeks. Seems as if nothing is happening. Water is a brown tea color. Seechi disc was 64 inches last week and 58 inches this week.
Posted By: esshup Re: What is happening here? - 03/22/14 06:46 PM
Don't put any more in. Lime won't change the water that fast. You didn't hurt anything, but I feel you have enough lime in there for a while now. wink

When you lime fields, it takes a while for the change to take place. Here, farmers lime their fields in the fall so the soil is ready for planting time in the spring.
Posted By: Steve2013 Re: What is happening here? - 03/22/14 07:22 PM
Ok thanks, extension agent called and told me it would take longer for lime to work. Can I go ahead and fertilize? Walt Overton said go ahead.
Posted By: esshup Re: What is happening here? - 03/22/14 07:33 PM
I don't see why not. You're in good hands with Walt.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: What is happening here? - 03/23/14 11:22 AM
What is your water temp?
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: What is happening here? - 03/23/14 11:27 AM
What type of lime did you use?

Calcite lime is the best to use and you can not do any damage with it.

What was the mesh or screening size of the lime? This indicates what will be soluble when put in the water.

Lime will flash or flip really fast when it dose flip. Take is easy and take time.

Don.
Posted By: ewest Re: What is happening here? - 03/24/14 12:23 PM
You have enough lime. It takes several mths to start showing up in a major way. You will get an initial bounce (shown by him saying you needed 3 tons to start and then 2 tons later).

One key point no discussed is "do you have much water flow through" (water leaving the pond)? If so that could effect the situation.
© Pond Boss Forum