Pond Boss
Posted By: Dwight Clear 21 - 01/24/14 05:17 PM
This is what 21 inches of clear ice looks like. Our record is 26.5". That number was recorded on March 5th 2010.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 05:26 PM
Just thinking about trying to hand auger a hole down through that stuff makes me tired. I've got almost 6", and it's been years since I've seen that much here.

That ice does look clear.....we usually get a couple inches of junk ice on top.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 05:50 PM
Wow Dwight - that's some excellent quality ice. We had 8" of ice starting to honeycomb last Sunday with 65 degrees - but we've had dozens of hours in the teens since - imagine we're back up to 10" by now.

Tony - congrats! Are you fishing? Where are our pics?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 06:01 PM
Should be on this weekend, if all goes as planned.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 06:05 PM
I thought you were promoting a new brand of Vodka...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
This is what 21 inches of clear ice looks like. Our record is 26.5". That number was recorded on March 5th 2010.

I think you'll break that record easily this year with over a month to go. What do you think Dwight?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 06:17 PM
Anybody using the cordless drills and attachments to make ice holes? I had a friend out here last year and I was amazed how easy it was, and how many holes it took a battery to wear down. It appeared you could go all day with an extra battery.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 06:32 PM
Cecil, those are the attachments I am looking for. If you come across them and share, it would make me happy!

For a minute I thought it was this:
Posted By: Dwight Re: Clear 21 - 01/24/14 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I thought you were promoting a new brand of Vodka...

You are a smart man, Sunil. "Clear 21" does have a premium sound to it; like, filtered 21 times!!

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I think you'll break that record easily this year with over a month to go. What do you think Dwight?

This winter doesn't have the feel of a warm February so it is possible. The difference between 2009 and this year is no snow sitting on the pond in 2009.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Clear 21 - 01/25/14 12:10 AM
I long for clear ice on top like that pictured above. My ice usually has some frozen slush on top making the top layer the color of milk jug. Clear ice is almost like window glass and it lets lots of sunlight for photosynthesis of phytoplankton into the water below when ice is clear of snow. I analyzed some reservoir water today that had 6 ft of clarity just before hard freeze up. Currently the phytoplankton density was 986,000cells/ounce of water. If they can get light they will make dissolved oxygen.
© Pond Boss Forum