Pond Boss
Posted By: CoachB How's the ice? - 11/29/13 10:41 AM
With this long cold snap that we have been having, I am wondering if anyone has been out on their ice? I have been iced over completely for over a week, and we have had temps in the 10-20s at night, and not over freezing during the day. I am going to cut a hole off of the dock today to see what I have.
Posted By: gallop Re: How's the ice? - 11/29/13 12:21 PM
No ice here yet wink
Posted By: Omaha Re: How's the ice? - 11/29/13 01:17 PM
3" yesterday in SE Nebraska. Probably 4" by now, but won't last with some warmer temps slipping through this weekend.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: How's the ice? - 11/29/13 03:24 PM
There were some guys ice fishing on a pond in front of the nearby high school. Can't be more than an inch of ice. Crazy! crazy
Posted By: Bocomo Re: How's the ice? - 11/30/13 01:09 AM
We have 1/2" of ice cover. We are ice fishing from the canoe!
Posted By: benji havens Re: How's the ice? - 11/30/13 05:04 AM
I have a inch and half of ice but I'm not going to ice fish yet, but trust me I'm tempted I love ice fishing!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: How's the ice? - 11/30/13 04:10 PM
I think we've got about an inch. I walked out on my floating dock yesterday and it didn't move one tiny bit. Hopefully it will melt at least one more time. I have two fish cages at the end of the dock that I use as live wells. They are filled with culled BG and LMB. We had been planning a late autumn neighborhood fish fry. If I can get the fish out the cages, maybe we'll have them New Year's Eve.
Posted By: esshup Re: How's the ice? - 11/30/13 07:11 PM
We had about 10" here on Wed/Thurs. It's melting fast in the sun, and with the ground not froze yet. Maybe 2"-3" left in spots. Ponds are partially froze, nowhere thick enough to even consider walking on.
Posted By: Dwight Re: How's the ice? - 11/30/13 08:10 PM
6.25 inches of solid clear ice.
Posted By: Dwight Re: How's the ice? - 12/07/13 04:56 PM
9.5" this morning.
Posted By: JKB Re: How's the ice? - 12/07/13 05:33 PM
Freezing pretty good here. No snow cover, and the ice seems to be pretty good in development. The past few years, it's just been nasty ice.

About a week or so ago, a kid was on a local pond and fell thru. He was in there for a while and struggling to get out.

Out of nowhere, this big brawny guy shows up and plucks the kid out of the drink.

Guardian Angel?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: How's the ice? - 12/07/13 06:16 PM
Saw a group of kids roaming around on unsafe ice when I temporarily lived on a lake while building my house. Totally ignorant of ice conditions and of course no parents in sight. Same group of kids that thought it was funny to bash my plastic minnow bucket against the seawall in open water. People shouldn't make babies if they can't take care of them. mad
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: How's the ice? - 12/08/13 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
9.5" this morning.

Wow!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: How's the ice? - 12/08/13 08:33 AM
3.5" solid clear ice here - took a few BG and YP in 30 minutes of fishing today - mainly just to determine integrity of the ice. Will hit it hard tomorrow.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: How's the ice? - 12/08/13 11:19 AM
Did you know you have a USO in the pond in that last photo? shocked grin
Posted By: sprkplug Re: How's the ice? - 12/08/13 02:30 PM
Nice TJ! I'm envious....partial open water here, as of yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: CoachB Re: How's the ice? - 12/08/13 03:12 PM
iced back over here. I had about two inches when I first started this thread, but it left at the end of last week. Two days of cold days has it going well again. No snow, so it it forming smooth and black. Hope to get on it by the end of the week. Temps are not supposed to get higher than the mid 20s.
Posted By: John Wann Re: How's the ice? - 12/08/13 03:37 PM
Finally have ice on my pond this morning. Won't last long though.
Posted By: John Wann Re: How's the ice? - 12/08/13 03:39 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
3.5" solid clear ice here - took a few BG and YP in 30 minutes of fishing today - mainly just to determine integrity of the ice. Will hit it hard tomorrow.

That light looks awesome under the ice TJ.
© Pond Boss Forum