Pond Boss
Posted By: the stick Labor Day - 09/02/13 06:16 PM
Hope you are all having a great Labor Day. A holiday brought to us by the American Worker. Time to gear up for fall fishing!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Labor Day - 09/02/13 07:47 PM
Labor day always makes me think of late July 1951. My dad and a couple of his brothers were so happy. They had been on strike for about two weeks against the Great Northern Railway and the Northern Pacific Railway. They got our 80 acres of timothy hay put up, plus about 120 acres of hay and alfalfa put up at the family farm. They went back to work for $1.00 per hour, vs. the $0.65 per hour they were getting before the strike!

That was then. This is now. Please don't turn this into a political debate.

Ken
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Labor Day - 09/02/13 10:02 PM
You can thank President Cleveland for Labor Day.
Posted By: ewest Re: Labor Day - 09/03/13 12:40 AM
Hope everyone enjoyed the day ! I labored but it was good.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Labor Day - 09/03/13 01:04 AM
I labored too, 11.5 hours of over time on a holiday. That works out to double time and a half. :-)
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Labor Day - 09/03/13 01:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Catmandoo
Labor day always makes me think of late July 1951. My dad and a couple of his brothers were so happy. They had been on strike for about two weeks against the Great Northern Railway and the Northern Pacific Railway. They got our 80 acres of timothy hay put up, plus about 120 acres of hay and alfalfa put up at the family farm. They went back to work for $1.00 per hour, vs. the $0.65 per hour they were getting before the strike!

That's a great story, Cat, and a really thougt provoking reminder of how much and how many things have changed in a relatively short period. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
That was then. This is now. Please don't turn this into a political debate.

Well heck, I don't see how this could be controversial....unless they were using DDT on their hayfields!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Labor Day - 09/03/13 03:45 AM
Ditto to what the stick said. I labored today, but it was around the pond.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Labor Day - 09/06/13 03:10 AM
I labored today but it wasn't Labor Day....
Posted By: RC51 Re: Labor Day - 09/06/13 01:25 PM
My second son was born on Labor Day 10 years ago so we had a pool party and cake and ice cream!! smile Cant believe he is 10 already!

RC
© Pond Boss Forum