Pond Boss
Posted By: Chandler Fish keeper ideas? - 04/25/12 11:42 PM
I have been looking for a contraption to hang off my dock that I can keep fish in before taking them home to clean. In other words, a live well to hang off the pier/dock to put the catch. I don't want a collapsable basket, rather something more sturdy.

Do they make such a thing, or will I have to get one custom made? Right now, we are trying to get all the channel cat out and they are getting pretty big.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 04/25/12 11:58 PM
They make multiple different designs and you can certainly make one yourself... If you are simply holding before harvest, coated chicken wire would work fine. That is what we make our bait holding tanks out of and crab traps out of. It's fairly cheap and easy to work with.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 04/26/12 12:10 AM
Brian did a great job documenting his build here on the forum.

Fish Trap 2.0

Fish Trap 2.0 Lite gets dunked
Posted By: highflyer Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 04/26/12 12:11 AM
I mad two fish traps myself in about two hours each.

Here is a link to the pictures of the first one:

Fish trap 2.0

And here is the link for the second one I made:

2.0 lite

Both can be setup to cage fish or catch them. Simply use the end you need for the task at hand.

Both traps float at the top of the trap and to make this usable for your purposes, I would add a taller top using a five way pvc connector and a little more netting, if you did not want the top to be closed off.

Hope this helps
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 04/26/12 12:12 AM
I beat you Brian! grin
Posted By: highflyer Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 04/26/12 12:13 AM
LOL
Posted By: george1 Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 04/26/12 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
I mad two fish traps myself in about two hours each.

Here is a link to the pictures of the first one:

Fish trap 2.0

And here is the link for the second one I made:

2.0 lite

Both can be setup to cage fish or catch them. Simply use the end you need for the task at hand.

Both traps float at the top of the trap and to make this usable for your purposes, I would add a taller top using a five way pvc connector and a little more netting, if you did not want the top to be closed off.

Hope this helps

I can vouch for Brian's trap used as a "fish keeper" - it worked very well for me to safely keep CNBG brood stock overnight to stock in Brian's forage pond.
Posted By: Zep Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 04/26/12 01:34 AM
Chandler..here is another option: (but i'm sure Brian's is better)

Three different models of fish live boxes: Collapsible, Rigid, Coated Rigid

ProLiveTraps
Posted By: John Pnde Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 11/15/13 04:42 PM

Deleted pending PB approval.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 11/15/13 08:33 PM
JP, I think you spelled your own website wrong.
Posted By: JKB Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 11/15/13 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
JP, I think you spelled your own website wrong.

That's a positive marketing strategy wink ...

...and here, I thought you may be posting some new high tech stuff!

Did Omaha ever get those Aqua Chef's working? You know the one's laugh
Posted By: Omaha Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 11/15/13 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Did Omaha ever get those Aqua Chef's working? You know the one's laugh

The bucket feeders? We tinkered with them the other day. Battery ran the motor, timer lit up fine. But when we put the timer in between the power and motor, it wouldn't take.
Posted By: FISHarvester Re: Fish keeper ideas? - 11/15/13 11:30 PM
Howdy Chandler. I'm new to this forum but not new to the fish game. Up to now my FISHarvester was only designed to use as a floating platform to stand alone in the water. I have a guy who wants a way to mount this to his dock so he can maintain it himself without me coming to take out or buying a trailer. I plan this winter after I get caught up to make 2 arms that can be mounted on his dock and will lift it out of water and onto his dock. The doors can just be left closed to use as either a fingerling feeder or live well. Let me know if this might interest you and will keep you updated.
© Pond Boss Forum