Pond Boss
Posted By: pgapro Want to help build/stock a pond - 06/16/11 01:46 AM
Hello everyone,

Moved away from my home in NE to Oklahoma City. Looking to help someone with their pond maintenance and stocking to learn more about it and gain some access to some fishing. Any ideas for me?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Want to help build/stock a pond - 06/16/11 03:49 AM
Welcome pgapro! Sorry to hear you left NE. wink

First a few questions. Answers in exchange for golf lessons. wink

1. What fish species are currently present? Or are you starting completely from scratch? This will definitely determine whether you establish forage or add adult fish.

2. What are the pond owners goals for the pond? Trophy bass? Food for the table? Diversity? Trophy sunfish? Kids fishing?

3. What size is the pond?

4. Will you be feeding pellets?

Answering those should get us started.

Now, about my slice....
Posted By: pgapro Re: Want to help build/stock a pond - 06/17/11 01:16 AM
I'm actually trying to find a pond owner to do this for...
Posted By: Omaha Re: Want to help build/stock a pond - 06/17/11 07:00 PM
Oh, completely misread. Sorry.

It can be difficult to gain access to private waters because they are so valuable, especially to an owner who has put in a lot of money and hard work into it. I would look at local fish and game websites/forums for people in your area. Don't focus on private waters yet. Look at establishing friendships first. Ask if anyone will show you around the area you are new to. Because of so many horror stories of trespassers, abuse of private waters, etc., most private pond owners are not going to allow access to people they are not very comfortable with. It may take a while to build trust. Access to private ponds is an immense privilege and like most things that are worth something, they're not always easy to come by. Good luck.
Posted By: pgapro Re: Want to help build/stock a pond - 06/18/11 12:23 AM
That's exactly the thing. It was easy back home, because I knew everyone who owned the ponds and they knew me as the polite young kid. Gotta love small town Nebraska. Time to build that reputation up down here as well, I suppose. Thanks for your help. If I ever get up to Omaha, I'd be happy to exchange a golf lesson for some fishing smile
Posted By: Omaha Re: Want to help build/stock a pond - 06/18/11 04:16 AM
That's a deal! Though I don't think you realize how much work you're in for. wink
© Pond Boss Forum