Pond Boss
Posted By: bobby5 Anybody have a small pond with big bass? - 04/03/11 12:23 AM
Im plannin on building a small pond this fall but the biggest i can go is 1/4 to 1/3 of a acre. Im wanting some decent size bass in there. Is it uncommon to have a large number of big bass in ponds this size if managed correctly?
Welcome. Okay bobby we hear you. Now we need to know two answers from you. Now seriously and realistically think about this. 1. What do you consider a decent size or big bass for a small 1/4 ac pond??. and 2. What do you consider a larger number for a 1/3 ac pond??? We might even be able to provide some hints for good design optionn for a northern small bass pond.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Anybody have a small pond with big bass? - 04/03/11 02:36 AM
I would highly suggest looking into stocking feed trained bass in a small pond. Lots of fun.
Feed trained and hybrid.
In keeping this topic alive until bobby5 gets back to us with some answers, he and all new pond owners should read about and understand carrying capacity and how it affects water quality and fish growth. Here is a good link to get one started:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92440#Post92440

This information is informative and good reading even as a refresher course for existing pond owners.
Posted By: esshup Re: Anybody have a small pond with big bass? - 04/05/11 12:11 AM
Bill, there is so much great information in the archives I think all of us non-professionals should read it once a year as a refresher course.
© Pond Boss Forum