Pond Boss
Posted By: PHOEBE Help with holes? - 06/02/10 12:22 AM
Anyone knowwhat would make these holes? and hoe to get rid of whatever is making them?

Attached picture wisc 5-30-10 HOLE.jpg
Attached picture wisc 5-30-10 HOLE2.jpg
Attached picture wisc 5-30-10 HOLE3.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Help with holes? - 06/02/10 12:33 AM
It's a crayfish that's making the holes. Cecil is THE man when it comes to crawdads and ponds!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Help with holes? - 06/02/10 01:14 AM
Yep, crayfish for sure. I say drop a smallmouth bass down each one and let them do the work for you! laugh
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 12:42 AM
I'm not sure what to tell you. First it was the crayfish for me and then it was the five star moles. I'm thinking the five star moles dig after the crayfish but that's just my theory. I do know I don't have as many crayfish holes as I used to have.

I was told by a pest control business operator taxidermy customer that the local Menards sold something that looked like a nitecrawler but it's toxic to five star moles. He told me to push a hole shut with my heal and if it opens back up it's an active hole. Then drop one of the toxic worms into the hole. I would think this would work for the crayfish too. Just don't let your dog dig one up.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 01:27 AM
One of these might help, if they go in the water.

Crawfish Trap

If you can catch them, they make great snacks. Find some "crab boil" and drop them in the boiling water for a very short time -- maybe a minute. Just like shrimp -- don't overcook, or they'll get tasteless and tough. Break off the tails, pull out the meat, and dip it in some cocktail sauce made from catchup and horse radish. Yeesh, I just drooled on my shirt.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 01:31 AM
Sorry guys, I'm lost. Crayfish burrow under water...but out of the water? Is this an old burrow thats just now above waterline? Educate me, please.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 01:52 AM
TJ,

There are about 400 different kinds of crawfish/crawdads/crayfish in the US. Some are known as "burrowers." They dig down to the water table, and are nocturnal. Those are the kinds that dig the holes in dams and yards. They come out at night to feed.

Ken
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 02:14 AM
And I've seen those holes in big open fields not near any water source other than being fairly wet for awhile after a big rain. I know what you mean, TJ. It shocked me when I first learned about that, too. Never imagined crayfish out of a creek, pond, or otherwise.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 02:31 AM
Wow...thanks guys. You could have gotten the entire bar tab paid by yours truly with that wager.
Posted By: esshup Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 03:04 AM
WHAT?, you mean you're not going to pay it now?? grin
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 03:07 AM
We should have held out until we had him firmly in our grasp! grin
Posted By: pullo Re: Help with holes? - 06/03/10 03:22 AM
I have the same thing in my shoreline, creyfish for sure one foggy morning walking the edge I saw a big one excavating mud out of a 4 inch chimney! I had left over degraded limestone & pour it into the holes to the top then heal in the chimney, works good.
© Pond Boss Forum