Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/20/10 03:29 PM
Ok I talked to a guy yesterday that swears by using cattle protien blocks all around his dock area. He takes a block (it looks just like a salt block in a way) and cuts it into 4 sections. He says he then throws the 4 sections into different spots in his pond and lets them sink. He says they attract minnows all type of sunfish and they love it. Of course then the bass come around because of all the other fish. He says they will last about 3 months or so. He said you can buy a block at the co-op for about 6 to 9 bucks. Has anyone else ever heard of this or tried it? It sounds like it could be possible. Like I said he swears by it.
Posted By: Captain1 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/20/10 06:06 PM
Have not tried it - but based on the ingredients of protein blocks it may work. Here is a link on making your own protein blocks - but for the price is probably simpler to buy them.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/...-for-cattle.pdf
Posted By: RC51 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/20/10 07:14 PM
Hey Cap,

Your right the ingredients look good. And it sounds a whole lot easier and cheaper than slinging food. You could basically buy 2 block for the year and be done with it depending I suppose how many fish you have in your pond. And of course this won't work for bass. I may give it a try. At the price of a block it's worth trying just to see what happens.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/20/10 07:53 PM
When I first read this thread I got to wondering what the molasses in them does when thrown in water. Does it just dissolve? Does it attract fish like it does cattle? I've never heard of using sugary substances to attract fish.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/20/10 09:27 PM
I just bet that a couple of these critters know what the fish are enjoying for snacks. grin

Posted By: RC51 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/20/10 09:27 PM
Hey Bullhead

I don't know??? It's the protein in the blocks that the fish like. Not sure about the molasses part?? I am going to to some more reading on it. But like I said this guy uses them and said he has plenty of nice size RES and BG eating them.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/20/10 11:12 PM
I think I would want to know the protein level and the ingredients.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/21/10 01:10 AM
I've used range cubes(20% protein) for chumming cats and feeding minnows, but for longer term fish gathering, just a can of dog or cat food in the brush occasionally. Range cubes have molasses in it; it seems to work well.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/21/10 01:20 AM
I've soured grain to chum up catfish and it worked great. I knew a guy who broke up alfalfa bales to feed his catfish in a huge cattle watering tank. But most fish, to the best of my knowledge, need 32%.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/21/10 01:33 AM
Ragland mills www.raglandmills.com has a Money Maker Protien block with 37 precent protien. Not sure what that costs or how it compares to the one the guy was using that told me about them??? But they at least do make them with a decent amount of protien.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/21/10 10:08 AM
I read their FAQ Section. They recommend that one of their protein blocks not be fed to sheep because one of the ingredients, copper, isn't right for sheep. If it's put together specifically for cattle, I don't believe I would feed it to my fish. There are too many unknowns.
Posted By: Dustin Pratt Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/23/10 12:49 AM
with all that molasses, I would be worried about the dreaded "Red Ear'd Diabetes"

smile
Posted By: RC51 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/23/10 03:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I read their FAQ Section. They recommend that one of their protein blocks not be fed to sheep because one of the ingredients, copper, isn't right for sheep. If it's put together specifically for cattle, I don't believe I would feed it to my fish. There are too many unknowns.

Hey Dave thanks for the heads up. I trust your judgement for sure and I apprecaite your input. I just heard he did this and thought it was kind of crazy, but I did not ask him what type of block he was using if I see him again I will ask him that.

Thanks again,
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Cattle Protien Blocks? - 05/23/10 03:43 AM
Be careful of guys that always have a better idea or secret trick that no one else knows about. Usually upon closer examination it's not what it's cracked up to be.

Kind of like the info commercials that promise you the best gadget since the invention of the wheel but when you try it...

I just don't think anything takes the place of feeding fish quality feed especially designed for them on a regular basis. Shortcuts many times are cuts in quality.

I was catching and releasing bluegill and yellow perch from one of my ponds the other day that is fed heavily once a day. Looking at the full bellies and excellent condition of these fish I don't think I would try anything else.

© Pond Boss Forum