Pond Boss
Posted By: docg small mouth pond - 12/17/09 01:22 PM
I have access to about 5 acres that are not farmable and am thinking of making a new pond. I have several friends that are out of work dirt movers that I can get to build the pond. Are there any back issues of pond boss that address building a small mouth pond? Time is of no issue as I have another pond that I am spending my time on right now. I was thinking of having it built and then adding my forage for a 18-24 months before adding small mouth. I am wondering if this undertaking is worth it. Would small mouth work in north carolina? I have many questions that I don't want to bore everybody with, that's why I was wondering about Pond Boss issues.
thanks
docg
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: small mouth pond - 12/17/09 01:25 PM
Smallies work in Arizona; NC shouldn't be a problem.

Bill Cody just finished a 5 part series on SMB in PBMag. I would recommend the whole 2009 set of issues.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: small mouth pond - 12/17/09 11:15 PM
Smallies do very well in Tennessee; we're at about the same lattitude as you. In fact, the current world record smallie came from Tennessee. I would highly recommend them as "worth it", but they are quite a different kettle of fish from LMB, and their management will require some forethought if they are to reach their best potential in smaller bodies of water.

You'll learn a ton about SMB in the PB issues, but whether you ask questions before or after reading them, don't worry about boring anyone. Questions are what this forum is all about.

What kind of forage are you thinking of focusing upon?
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: small mouth pond - 12/17/09 11:41 PM
docg also look at Bob's new book: Perfect Pond ... Want One?
I'm in NC & have SMB & RE in my pond.
You're smart in that you show the patience’s to stock forage first & wait for them to fill the pond before adding predators.
Every fish has a finite life span & if you can keep their mouth full they have the greatest chance of reaching their full potential in growth.
Start with FH's & crawfish for the first year at least.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: small mouth pond - 12/18/09 02:46 AM
I'm sort of busy right now, but can someone provide docg a few links to previous good forum discussions about smallies? Smallmouth will definately work for him in NC if he uses proper forage fish and good habitat.
Docg don't be afraid to ask questions after reading the suggested material and info in the links to the discussions.
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 12/18/09 03:33 AM
Here are 4 good threads the first 2 from the archives.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=103428#Post103428

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92626#Post92626

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=15103&Number=186285#Post186285

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=160879&fpart=1
Posted By: n8ly Re: small mouth pond - 12/18/09 04:04 AM
I absolutely love secondary ponds!!! Nothing is better and more fun than a fish 'experiment'

Will make you a deal doc. You keep us updated on the project and collectively we will answer all the questions you could possibly have about building and maintaining this smallmouth pond.
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 12/18/09 12:54 PM
You got it Nate. If I can figure out the specifics of photo presentation on the site, you got it. I have a guy coming over this week to walk over the site.
docg
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 12/18/09 02:51 PM
docg I second N8ly's offer. There is a lot of info in those 5 PB articles Theo mentioned. Also a lot here in those threads linked above and others which I can find for you as needed. One on Brettski's pond and of course Theo's SMB pond in the archives. Bill and I have done a lot of research on SMB in ponds and have a bunch of scientific data/papers. AFS has 2 symposium one just on SMB and another that is on black bass about half of which is on SMB. In addition there are hundreds of papers on SMB.

I think you will be happy with the results. We can find the info and advice for you to consider.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: small mouth pond - 12/18/09 06:40 PM
Instead of one larger second pond for smallies, while you have out of work pond builders on site, consider having them build two smaller ponds instead of one larger pond. In the additional pond of 0.5-1ac you could have some good fun growing hybrid striped bass with hybrid BG or another panfish in a third pond. Both feed and grow well on pellet food. HSB are harder fighting and faster growing than SMB.
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 01:41 AM
Could I not put hsb, smb, res in the same pond? Set up texas feeders to push them? Getting the pond built may be the easy part. Finding a smb vendor in nc may prove more of an issue.
The area that I am looking at is a rocky old spring type area. May prove tough to make 2 smaller ponds.
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 02:19 AM
You can have SMB , RES and HSB in the same pond. You will need another forage source. GShiners , craws , FH , or othe small fish will work.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 03:32 AM
Hey docg, I fly in to RDU almost monthly. It wouldn't be too far out of the way to swing by and take a look with you, if you are interested. I'll probably be headed that way in January, February for sure.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 04:11 AM
I would look strongly at stocking some lake chubsuckers into your pond. Especially if you are going to give it a bit of time to grow forage before you stock the predators. You can have them overnight shipped to you by Overton's, that is how I got mine. I think they would make an excellent forage fish for the type of pond you are looking at doing.
Posted By: n8ly Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 04:18 AM
You can get smallmouth shipped in overnight as well!
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 06:57 PM
Bob Lusk at my house..... I don't know if I could sleep..
Just teasing of course. I would be honored to have you see the property. Hopefully the snow will be gone by then. Just let me know when you wish to come and I will clear my schedule. If only N8LY could come then my life would be complete. Seriously, I would like any and all input because I would like this to be a pond boss experiment, and if we could all come to a consensus about stocking rates, forage growth before predators, structure, etc., then that's what I'll do. Consensus between experts proves difficult sometimes though
Posted By: Sunil Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 10:49 PM
Getting Lusk at your place? Take the opportunity!

Now for n8ly:

"If only N8LY could come then my life would be complete."

Be careful as Dude really does get around!
Posted By: Al Davison Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 11:28 PM
I've read all the stuff about the smallies in the mag and it is VERY good and highly detailed but not too scientific for a southern boy to understand. Y'all need to remember that we're slow readers so, write slowly. \:D

WOW! If you can get the Guru Bob to come see your place, you'd be way far ahead! I've never been able to afford to attend the conference but, I bet I could learn more in an hour with Bob at my pond than in a lifetime of trying to figure it out on my own.

Take him up on that offer! Maybe your smallie pond will become a new project article in the mag.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: small mouth pond - 12/19/09 11:31 PM
Al, guys from the South may talk and read slow but they think pretty fast.
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 12/20/09 12:01 AM
Sunil
N8ly "dude gets around"... I heard he and Tiger have been hanging out at all the pond conferences. I hope his prenup is better than Tiger's. lol
Posted By: n8ly Re: small mouth pond - 12/20/09 12:11 AM
I can tell you that lord willing I will be headed to the King Fisher Society some day to go bluegill fishing with Jim Morgan... Taking a slight detour to plop in the water and feed some Tar Heel smallmouth bass would be right up my alley en route to spearing a 3 lb bluegill, chasing a covey, and then kicking back and listening to some live jazz music!
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 12/20/09 12:21 AM
You would be more than welcome and you can enjoy one of my granny's mean apple fritters. You'll have to give me some time to get to that point..Lord willing. Plus,I gotta get my islands out.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: small mouth pond - 12/20/09 05:34 PM
Granny's apple fritters?!?

Careful, you might just end up with JHAP at your pond.
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 02:37 AM
What is the lethal temperature for smallmouth? I read on the net that 80 degrees is lethal?
That would preclude me from my smallmouth pond...which would really suck.
docg
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 02:44 AM
SMB thrive as far south as north MS and Ala.

Tell us about your location. Mts. or coastal plain , size of water , pond temps in summer etc.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 03:32 AM
AaronM raised some in Phoenix.
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 04:08 AM
I am hoping Mr. Lusk will aid me in designing the pond. I am in the piedmont of north carolina. quite flat. Surface water temps reach upward of 82 degrees last summer.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 09:44 PM
Aug 2007 I had 90 deg surface temps,
79 @ 5',
67 @ 10',
54 @ 15',
49 @ 20',
48 @ 25'
Can't find the data for 2008 but it was similar. 2009 was much cooler.
I have SMB & they're doing fine.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 10:47 PM
Any idea was the DO was at those depths Ric?
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 10:56 PM
I only wish CJ. Maybe someday I will be able to splurge on a DO meter.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: small mouth pond - 01/13/10 11:09 PM
At those temps, if the DO was high enough you could keep trout!
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: small mouth pond - 01/14/10 12:39 AM
Yea CJ that's been in the plan. I've had the trout picked out for years now. Cheaper to put them in & see what happens than to buy a meter. Just need to establish more forage first. The SMB are voracious.
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 01/14/10 01:30 AM
It would sure be worth a shot.
Posted By: Sunil Re: small mouth pond - 01/14/10 01:55 AM
Ric, it would be great to see some pics of your smallies.

What are you doing to try to bolster your forage base now that your smallies are bigger?
Posted By: txelen Re: small mouth pond - 01/14/10 02:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
Yea CJ that's been in the plan. I've had the trout picked out for years now. Cheaper to put them in & see what happens than to buy a meter. Just need to establish more forage first. The SMB are voracious.

That's really cool.

If I was lucky enough to have access to a pond like that, I'd be tempted to just buy a dozen 10" RBT, throw them in around this time of year when the whole pond is cold, and see whether they can last the summer.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: small mouth pond - 01/14/10 02:12 AM
I'm under 4" of ice right now. Don't have any pics from last summer but the smb were pretty much agerage in wr. Not skinny but not what I wanted therefore the desire for more forage. I attempted to put in some YP last year but most expired. I did see some evidence of survival of YP this summer while feeding the RE but only 2 or 3 observed for certain.
My plan now is to put in gams & some more YP.
My oldest has fished the pond the most but I plan to start testing the waters this spring. Obs. look like there are some 18" smb there. Apx. 80% WR is what I've seen so far.
Starting out I thought I had enough forage & prob. would have but had a poor RE spawn this past spring.
Lesson learned: Be SURE you have enough forage before putting in predators.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: small mouth pond - 01/14/10 03:09 AM
I'm under 4" of ice right now. Don't have any pics from last summer but the smb were pretty much agerage in wr. Not skinny but not what I wanted therefore the desire for more forage. I attempted to put in some YP last year but most expired. I did see some evidence of survival of YP this summer while feeding the RE but only 2 or 3 observed for certain.
My plan now is to put in gams & some more YP.
My oldest has fished the pond the most but I plan to start testing the waters this spring. Obs. look like there are some 18" smb there. Apx. 80% WR is what I've seen so far.
Starting out I thought I had enough forage & prob. would have but had a poor RE spawn this past spring.
Lesson learned: Be SURE you have enough forage before putting in predators.

Ric

Some questions for you/forum

- Add more crawdads - add more rocky habitat to provide protection?
- How about stocking some adult GSH [6-8"] to help avoid predation and get the spawn on?
- I have no experience with Gams but thought their preferred habitat was shallow submerged vegetation. Will the SMB find them there or will they be looking in your rockpiles and crusing open water instead?
- My guy in NE has YP and they were affordable and healthy fish -I can recommend this source. Next time Rex is here I'll bet if he can make a route of it he's bring you some.
- Do you have beds for the RES to help encourage a spawn or was it just an off year due to other factors?
- What else can be done to help re-establish a forage base in the presence of mature apex predators? Many of us face that reality without the BG solution available to them.
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 01/14/10 03:20 PM
Blocking nets and cages work for growing small forage into larger forage. GShiners are very good for SMB ponds. IIRC Doc Cornwell did a PB article on SMB , GShiners , FH and craws. Dave Willis has noted in some northern ponds under some conditions the inability of SMB to control YP #s . Ric do you see any small YP , SMB or RES ? Did you have a good plankton bloom last year around the respective spawning times ? What #s of small , med and large sized fish of all species do you see ? What about craw survival and reproduction?
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: small mouth pond - 01/15/10 02:34 AM
tj,
I have the craws & habitat. So much so that I can't establish submerged plants I want.
I would prefer a different approach than GSH. I've measured & weighed that addition & almost put them in since I have a free source.
The gams would be for the imature SMB & the YP & for trout if I ever put them in.
Changing water level due to a leak, GBH's, Green Herrons, & King Fishers were responsible for this years low RE recruitment. Mostly the changing water level.
I have an excellent area to grow out fingerlings but the YP I recieved were in very bad shape & only had prob. 25% initial survival. My net failed afterward contributing to the failure to establish YP.

eric,
I have only observed 3 for sure YP suviving. There's prob. more but not many. YOY SMB are always very plentiful & up until this year small RE were also plentiful.
Judging from BC's PB articles the composition of sizes of SMB in the pond looks good.

The RE are taking pellets well & SMB, even some of the larger ones, were feeding this past summer. I ultimately want the feeding to be an occasional thing, more of a fun/supplemental thing. Therefore I want to beef up the forage base so as not to rely on one, ie: RE, for forage for the SMB since they proved unreliable this past summer.

But the purpose of my reply to docg was to show that 80+ deg surface temps don't negate haveing SMB.
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 01/15/10 02:51 AM
Yes I knew that Ric. I was just trying to think of more forage options for your situation or causes for low spawning success.

There are other minnow type options but their availability or effect may be questionable.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: small mouth pond - 01/15/10 03:18 AM
tj,
I have the craws & habitat. So much so that I can't establish submerged plants I want.
I would prefer a different approach than GSH. I've measured & weighed that addition & almost put them in since I have a free source.
The gams would be for the imature SMB & the YP & for trout if I ever put them in.
Changing water level due to a leak, GBH's, Green Herrons, & King Fishers were responsible for this years low RE recruitment. Mostly the changing water level.
I have an excellent area to grow out fingerlings but the YP I recieved were in very bad shape & only had prob. 25% initial survival. My net failed afterward contributing to the failure to establish YP.

eric,
I have only observed 3 for sure YP suviving. There's prob. more but not many. YOY SMB are always very plentiful & up until this year small RE were also plentiful.
Judging from BC's PB articles the composition of sizes of SMB in the pond looks good.

The RE are taking pellets well & SMB, even some of the larger ones, were feeding this past summer. I ultimately want the feeding to be an occasional thing, more of a fun/supplemental thing. Therefore I want to beef up the forage base so as not to rely on one, ie: RE, for forage for the SMB since they proved unreliable this past summer.

But the purpose of my reply to docg was to show that 80+ deg surface temps don't negate haveing SMB.

Lake Chubsucker? Spotnose shiner [they max out around 4" I think]? Scuds?

If you need YP let me know. Bruce turned me onto Rob Hofpar north of lincoln. I think my 4-6" YP were $.35/ea. I thought that was a very square deal. Don't know pricing now...that was two years ago and he may have had excees inventory to get rid of. Seems pretty low pricing to me.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: small mouth pond - 01/15/10 09:44 PM
 Quote:
Yes I knew that Ric. I was just trying to think of more forage options for your situation or causes for low spawning success.

Can't tell you eric how much I appreciate the help & concern. I thank the heavens often in my mind for the knowledge you guys have offered which has given me as good a pond as I have. I just didn't intend to hijack this thread.

tj,
Thanks, I'm thinking of calling Zetts for some YP & what they are calling Bull Minnows which I believe CJ identified as something else I can't call right now but is desirable.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: small mouth pond - 01/15/10 10:03 PM
Banded Killifish
Posted By: docg Re: small mouth pond - 01/16/10 09:11 PM
Rick
you hijack all you want. I learn from every entry most anyone writes.
thanks to everyone
Posted By: n8ly Re: small mouth pond - 01/17/10 02:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: docg

you hijack all you want. I learn from every entry most anyone writes.
thanks to everyone

JHAP, here is your Q?...cue....kew? better yet invitation to jump on in and make doc eat his words.
Posted By: ewest Re: small mouth pond - 01/17/10 03:06 PM
I'm with you doc. I learn more here everyday. Glad you joined in the journey.
© Pond Boss Forum