Pond Boss
Posted By: PHOEBE HELP WITH ID - 11/26/09 09:59 PM
Can anyone tell me what would do this. I have about 8 of these piles of dirt around my pond. There is no holes buy any of them.I dug through one and there is nothing in it.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/DAMONIO/pile1.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/DAMONIO/pile2.jpg

The date on the pics is wrong they were taken today.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
Posted By: Sunil Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/26/09 10:08 PM
What part of the country do you live in?
Posted By: PHOEBE Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/26/09 10:23 PM
NE Wisconsin
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/26/09 10:59 PM
If they were here, they'd be moles. Any pushed up humps of tunnels connecting them?
Posted By: esshup Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 12:53 AM
I'd guess moles as well. When they excavate "rooms" underground, very often (at least here) there are no surface tunnels connecting them, only subterranium ones. The piles of dirt in my area are more prevalent in late Fall/early Winter and in the Spring when the surface ground thaws.
Posted By: Dwight Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 01:08 AM
Do you have Black Bears in the area?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 01:20 AM
I was gonna say, they look like bear crap piles at a distance. But if it's soil and not crap well it ain't that. But if is has seeds from berries it's probably bear crap.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 02:14 AM
Anaconda strain nitecrawler casts? \:o \:o \:o
Posted By: PHOEBE Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 03:27 AM
DON'Y SEE ANY HUMP THAT WOULD RESEMBLE TUNNELS IN BETWEEN THEM
Posted By: PHOEBE Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 03:29 AM
A BLACK BEAR AND A CUB WERE SEEN ABOUT 10 ACRES AWAYS FROM HERE LESS THAN AMONTH AGAO, I DIDN'T NOTICE ANY BERIES BUT I WILL TAKE ANOTHER LOOK TOMORROW ,
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 04:28 AM
It sure looks like bear crap to me when I look at the up close photo...
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/27/09 03:30 PM
Ditto on the bear, one things for sure, she's not constipated.
Posted By: PHOEBE Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/28/09 03:08 PM
Checked all the pills and no berries and no tunnels. Would bear crap look like just loose black dirt?
No holes
no tunnels
no berries

Just can't figure out what they could be from. Some of them are about the size of a car hub cap around
Posted By: bobad Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/28/09 04:24 PM
Looks like mole to me. Carefully scrape the dirt pile off the ground. Look for a 1.5-2" hole beneath it.

Now I'm looking at my neighobors pond, and thinking about making some of those dirt piles just to watch him scratch his head. \:D
Posted By: Brettski Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/30/09 01:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: bobad

Now I'm looking at my neighobors pond, and thinking about making some of those dirt piles just to watch him scratch his head. \:D

don't forget to eat some berries
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/30/09 01:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Looks like mole to me. Carefully scrape the dirt pile off the ground. Look for a 1.5-2" hole beneath it.

I think someone emptied out the flow pots for the year.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/30/09 02:03 AM
I see similar mounds around here too but they're will always be the pushed up tunnels around them.
In OK I saw these same mounds without the tunnels. Locals say it's moles & as a side not we always found lots of quail when we found lots of mole hills.
Posted By: Rainman Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/30/09 07:16 AM
Looks like dung to me.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/30/09 10:21 AM
Once again, the Internet's shameful lack of smell impedes meaningful information exchange.
Posted By: Sunil Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/30/09 01:11 PM
Phone a friend, but use the smell-o-phone.
Posted By: RC51 Re: HELP WITH ID - 11/30/09 06:45 PM
I was fixing to say if it's dung it should have a distinct ordor hey? I mean loose dirt and dung the last I checked have a pretty big difference in smell. Well I gues I haven't really ever checked but you would think it would be pretty rank if it was dung!
Posted By: esshup Re: HELP WITH ID - 12/01/09 12:10 AM
I still think it's dirt. It looks like ash seeds mixed in with the dirt, and I think they would be a different color if they went thru an animal.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: HELP WITH ID - 12/01/09 06:25 AM
We get some kind of mold or fungus usually in the spring or fall on the mulch or left over leaves. The junk we get isn't that dark. Usually its a light to middle color tan.
© Pond Boss Forum