Pond Boss
So hopefully in a few weeks I will receive my permit to buy and stock my grass carp. (hear that Overton I am going to need some this spring). How often does the TPWD decline the applications?
When you have to get a permit to spend your own money on something it never seems to work out for the one spending the money.

They seldom decline the app but prepare yourself to build some escape proof fencing. They recommend hogwire and you will have to send in pics for their files.
Aren't Tilapia better at vegitation control than GC? The Mozambique don't require a permit do they? GC are only useful for a few years at best.
It's a trade off. GC and tilapia eat different plants. GC won't eat FA but tilapia will. GC don't have to replaced every year and tilapia do.

Not all states allow tilapia stocking. GC are pretty tightly controlled but, at least in Texas, are available with an easy to obtain permit.
I have coontail so Tilapia don't help in that area.

I sent in a app for 250 fish in later Oct and recieved the permit around Christmas time. A man called me and questioned my escape fencing around my drawdown pipes and spillway. Due to the fact that there is no public waters downstream of my lake for a very long ways they weren't worried about me at all.

I stocked 7.5 fish per vegetated acre right around Jan 1rst. I hope to see some results hopefully by the fall of this year.
I am sure you will, GC are eating machines especially when they are young and growing...
I have the tilapia and I need the GC to eat the Coontail I have coming in.
Thanks for the explanations.
BTW, Todd Overton gave me a really good deal on the fish with delivery. I highly recommend him.
UPDATE:

I still havent heard anything. I did see where the TPWD cashed my check for the permit and per fish fee over a month ago. SOOOO I am hoping that means my permit is on its way to me...HOPING with fingers crossed. And idea how long it should take before anything happens
UPDATE!!!!

Got my permit today for my carp. I am pumped!!! So when you think I should stock them (OVERTON put me aside 12 of your finest warrior White amurs!!)
I have some hungry fish available now! Bring it!! Let me know when....
I would like combo carp/ tilapia run if possible.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Got my Permit Applicantion mailed in today - 03/10/09 08:12 AM
And you thought they just wanted your money.
Posted By: JHFV Re: Got my Permit Applicantion mailed in today - 03/10/09 01:41 PM
You will be taking a chance on the tilapia dying if you get them now
 Originally Posted By: JHFV
You will be taking a chance on the tilapia dying if you get them now

that why I am waiting another couple of weeks

Originally Posted By: TOM G
And you thought they just wanted your money.

I am glad I was wrong!!!!
© Pond Boss Forum