Pond Boss
Posted By: huntinchic Turning a sand pit into a pond - 11/03/11 07:59 PM
We just bought 51 acres of land. The previous owner has allowed for a sand company to come in and dig three holes in the back corner of the land. Two of the holes are dug to the water table. Our plan is to fill in the hole that is not to the water table and make the other two into ponds. The guy digging suggests to dig 4 to 5 ft deeper and get to the water sand. I am afraid that it will not hold water that way. What is your suggestion to make this pond hold water? It is a total mess right now!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Turning a sand pit into a pond - 11/04/11 04:40 PM
A liner is about the only way I know of to hold water in sand.
Posted By: huntinchic Re: Turning a sand pit into a pond - 11/04/11 08:55 PM
That is what we are thinking too. The bottom stays wet because it dug into the water table. How would we pack the clay liner?
Posted By: esshup Re: Turning a sand pit into a pond - 11/05/11 12:20 AM
Originally Posted By: huntinchic
That is what we are thinking too. The bottom stays wet because it dug into the water table. How would we pack the clay liner?

If I was re-doing my pond again, I'd make sure that I had a good clay liner that, when finished, was 24" thick, and compacted properly with a sheepsfoot roller in 6" lifts.

Here's a bit more reading for you:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/deq-wb-nps-ps_250894_7.pdf
© Pond Boss Forum