Pond Boss
Posted By: gaboy Fish dying - 10/18/09 01:20 PM
Went my pond this morning to go fishing only to find my fish on top of the water trying to get oxygen. None of the fish are dead yet, but I don't think it's going to be long. Any ideas what could cause this? Could it be the weather? Is there anything I can do to save them?
Posted By: ewest Re: Fish dying - 10/18/09 01:28 PM
Tell us about the weather lately and the pond. Lots of threads here on low DOs (low oxygen). Any thing that stirs up and moves water in the top 3 feet of the water will help. For example running a boat motor just below the surface or pressure spraying pond water back over the surface.

See this near the bottom for emergency aeration.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...=true#Post92497

Posted By: bobad Re: Fish dying - 10/18/09 01:35 PM
I hope that doesn't continue.

How deep is your pond?

Best of luck,,,
Posted By: TOM G Re: Fish dying - 10/18/09 01:52 PM
Have you got a water pump you could recirculate water with?
Posted By: gaboy Re: Fish dying - 10/18/09 03:29 PM
The weather had been in the mid 80's until Friday. Got down to 44 last night and a high of 65 today. Pond is about 1 1/2 acres and has some 15 foot water in it.
The fish are not on top any more so hopefully that's a good sign. I'm running a garden hose in the pond now and got a aerator that runs on the tractor pto.
I dipped up about 10 very large brim and put them in the livewell and put a bubbler in and all but one came back to life.
There was a crop duster about a mile away this morning and I smelled the chemical he was spraying. That could of caused it maybe.
Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Fish dying - 10/19/09 03:03 AM
Might be a turn over that happened a bit too fast...

Or some chemicals drifted into your pond?
© Pond Boss Forum