Pond Boss
Posted By: Joe Street Cattails on a dam. - 08/21/09 02:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a situation on my pond. I have a lot of wind where my pond is and it is creating waves that is very slowly eroding the shorline. It is mainly causing problems with the shorline where my dam is. I have had some people suggest that I put stone around that end of the pond but I really don't like the look. My question is could I plant cattails there and would that cause any problems. I know that People don't like cattails and I always spay them once or twice a year so that I don't have any growing right now. My thinking is that I could let them grow on the dam and just continue to spray around the rest of the areas that I don't want them to grow. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe S.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/21/09 03:12 PM
a) they are invasive
b) muskrats LOVE them for breakfast and dinner

Our pond is still a baby at 3 years. The CT just started and haven't gotten too bad, but the muskrats that moved in last fall aren't in a big hurry to leave with the Old Pond Buffet within swimming distance. I don't know if the CT were a factor in attracting the rodents, but I am working with a plan of trapping and glyphosphate to regain control of both.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/21/09 03:12 PM
I would think that there might be less invasive plants that would protect your shoreline. Hang on Joe and lets see if we can get some expert advice.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/21/09 06:22 PM
I would do Blueflag Iris and/or Sweetflag right at 4 inches of depth to right at the water line and water willow about 6-8 inches below water line. These are all non-invasive natives to your area and work awesome for shoreline stabilization and erosion prevention. The added bonus will be some pretty spring flowers too. The Iris will give you the cattail look without the cattail invasion problems, and the water willow will provide extra cover for YOY fish and crustaceans while also helping protect the dam.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/21/09 08:28 PM
Pickerel weed and arrow arum are also good options with attractive foliage and flowers.
Posted By: RAH Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/22/09 01:19 PM
Giant bureed might be an option also, but it can resemble cattial. It produces seed that the ducks like, and cover for other water birds. You can tell it from cattail because it has a midrib, while cattail does not.
Posted By: RAH Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/22/09 01:26 PM
By the way Joe, I am 30 minutes west of Indy. The folks from JF New or Spence Restoration Nursery can probably give you better advice, and sell you the plants. Both have web pages.
Posted By: esshup Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/22/09 02:48 PM
FWIW, J.F. New buys seeds from Spence.....
Posted By: RAH Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/22/09 02:55 PM
Yes - FJ New only sells plants. My last order required both seeds and plants, so I ordered from Spence. In my limited experience, JF New had slightly better quality plants, but they let me know at the last minute that they did not have several species that I had ordered, and for which they had quoted me a price. I don't like surprises.
Posted By: Joe Street Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/22/09 03:04 PM
Thanks everyone,
Is the main objection to cattails their invasive nature? I’ve been able to keep them under control pretty easily with a Roundup (glyphosphate) type product. They recommend using a surfactant with it; I’ve used it both ways and didn’t really notice any difference. I would think the battle with muskrats might be more of a problem; I don’t have any muskrats now. I used to trap rats with my dad when I was a kid but it’s probably more work than what I want to do today. I was hoping the cattail thing would work. Business has been a little slow lately, on a budget :-)

RAH, I’m west of Indy, I live a couple miles west of Plainfield just south of 40.

Thanks again,
Joe S.
Posted By: RAH Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/22/09 03:28 PM
Joe - I'm a little north of you in extreme southwest Boone county. I actaully plan to let the cattails move in in about 5 years or so when other plants have a firm footing. I may be sorry though. Once established, they exclude everything else and are hard to get rid of. I am hoping that my dams are wide enough to keep the muskrats from causing leakage. I have a neighbor who traps, and I plan to continue to let him trap on my property; but he comes in after deer season, so he won't disturb my hunting.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Cattails on a dam. - 08/25/09 04:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Pickerel weed and arrow arum are also good options with attractive foliage and flowers.

Agreed. I have pickerel weed in my pond and really like it, but the geese really do a number on it. I don't think I could keep it thick enough to do much to protect the shoreline because of them.
© Pond Boss Forum