Pond Boss
Posted By: Meadowlark Southern Catalpa - 08/10/05 11:20 PM
According to Theo, there is a Southern Catalpa, as opposed to the Yankee Catalpa.

Does anyone South of the Mason-Dixon have a Catalpa tree with seeds (and preferably worms) that would be willing to part with same (seeds, not worms) to a Texas Pond Meister with grandkids who would love those worms?

Responses appreciated...guess I could offer some cow chips in return for fertilizing your ponds, cause they sure do a good job on mine. \:\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 02:33 AM
ML :

I will make a few calls to see what I can do . It may be that my sources can direct us to a source for seedlings in Texas . If you find some in the meantime don't wait on me. ewest
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 11:50 AM
ML, I used to have a catalpa with seeds but no worms. I have never found worms in North Texas. They are considered a urban trash tree because of all of their big leaves and seed pods. They make a heckuva mess on the lawn. I've seen quite a few female trees with seeds around the D/FW metroplex. If you see any, wait until fall. I bet the owner would gladly part with seeds. If I see any, I'll get some for you. You might want to check on their growth rate and other characteristics.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 01:14 PM
Dave,

Is there an RWI for Catalpa trees?
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 01:41 PM
Meadow, I'll see what I can do. We still have a couple in Miss. that have pods and worms. I'll bring some up during water turkey 'viewing' season.
Ewest, keep trying in case I forget(58).
There are web sites for seeds, but they are probably from trees that do not draw worms.
One reason that some trees do not have worms may be that the soil is too hard or not to the sphinx larvae liking. When I plant some more I will try to take care of that issue.
I wonder if trees are available from nurseries?

Theo, have you tried them on bluegill yet?
Posted By: ewest Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 02:32 PM
ML :

Just found out that Scroggins Texas has a catalpa worm festival in june of the year. Possible source for info and decent size trees and worms. ewest
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 02:46 PM
EWEST,

That's terrific...and consistent with my experience that Texas has it all!

Thanks a lot and if you happen to run across some seeds, throw them in your pocket to take to DFW Saturday.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 03:13 PM
 Quote:
if you happen to run across some seeds, throw them in your pocket to take to DFW Saturday
and hope you don't have to explain those pointy seed pods to the TSA workers (or that you're just doing a favor for Mr. Nitrosyncretic). ;\) (Is a disciple of Nitrosyncretic thinking a "Nitrosyncretin"?)

BM: Not yet. I picked up two more CWorms last night, now have 5-6 in the bait fridge waiting for chance to try on BG (Fri, Sat, or Sun for sure).
Posted By: bobad Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/11/05 05:35 PM
I have a 6" - 8" catalpa tree with plenty of beans right now. When they dry out, I'll be glad to send some to anyone.

I've heard catalpa worms are great BG bait, especially if you wring them inside-out. Blecch! :p

I find that when BG are biting good, they'll take nearly anything. I once caught 9 on the same tent caterpillar. By about the 3rd catch, it was just a leathery skin.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/12/05 07:17 PM
We haven't had a decent crop of catalpa worms in 3 years. When they are full grown, they are the best catfish/pond bait I've yet to find. I've planted 2 or three near my pond in hopes that several years from now, they'll provide a crop of worms, eventually...

Yeah, they're messy, but they sure are a good looking tree when full-grown.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/13/05 03:17 AM
Do you have Sassafras down South? The limb structure & sizing on Catalpa always reminds me of Sassafras. (Northern) Catalpa gets a lot bigger, though.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/13/05 03:28 AM
Theo,

I love Sassafras tea, but haven't had any since I left Missouri following college graduation. I have never seen it in East Texas.

I would trade my best BG for just a few sassafras roots and the memories it would bring back to me of my childhood.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/13/05 01:29 PM
ML:

I used to make Sassafras tea every year at Scout Camp. We owned our place for 18 years before finding the one (and only one) Sassafras tree on it (tallest one I've ever seen - the first leaves were 40 feet up) about a month before the woods were logged out. Murphy placed the tree in the middle of the logger's staging area. So I haven't had any S tea for a while either.

I am convinced the Sassafras flavor is behind the origin of "Root Beer."
Posted By: bobad Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/13/05 03:42 PM
Theo,

Yes, I believe sasafrass is the original root beer flavor. We used to make tea, and I will make me some as soon as I find a young tree.

I'm clearing a 3 acre corner of my land right now, and will leave persimmon, sasafrass, catalpa, pecan, and a few other useful trees behind for shade and stuff.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/14/05 03:01 AM
Dang, BOBAD, how is it you have Catalpas and sassafrass and you must not be much more than a couple of hundred miles from me. I must not be looking in the right places. Persimmons are everywhere, pecan trees are plentiful but danged if I have ever seen a sassafrass or Catalpa anywhere around here. I'm going to ask TAMU about this...maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Southern Catalpa - 08/14/05 03:04 AM
We have lots sasafrass here.
It was my understanding sasafras was found to "cause" cancer in white mice. Thus it's use was discontinued in Root Beer & other foods.
I've never had the tea, but we ocassionaly drop a root in a glass of gin for flavor.
I often pull up a young tree & chew on a root while walking in the woods.
© Pond Boss Forum