Pond Boss

Had a few questions on gypsum pellets will the dissolve fast. Plan on mixing 40lb bag of gypsum in 55gallon barrel with well water then spray on pond. Feed store has just over a 1000lbs for 10.99 a 40lb bag going to buy it all.
Be sure and also spray the banks
In my business we mix up a lot of different chemicals for different jobs. If I had pellets and needed them to dissolve in water I would suggest you add them to some type of agitation prior to adding gypsum to the pond. Agitation will break up the pellets where it should dissolve and then can be added to the pond water. Just a suggestion.

Going to apply gypsum in the morning I'll keep you guys posted
Just thinking. The picture of the boy says it all.
The barrels with gypsum look like coffee how is it going to clear up the pond water if it's not clear itself. Lil neverous about putting in the gypsum. Hope I didn't waste my money.
It's a chemical thing. If you put enough in it should clear or help clear it up. Knowing how much is always the hard part. It will take several weeks.
Any word on how the Gypsum worked? 1000# seems like it is not nearly enough, and gypsum has about a 50% chance of working. Alum is about the only thing assured of working.
Rainman it was a no go with the gypsum... i did the bottle test and the Clay settled but looks like tea.... so I took all that back and ordered 500 lbs of aluminum sulfate and got 250 of hydrated lime. Would that be about right on the aluminum and lime?
To be very sure, I suggest 300# alum per acre foot of water volume, and be generous on estimates...ie, round 1.5 acre feet to 2, and if thinking a 5 foot average depth, use 6, or even 7.
Rainman so if my pond is 1/2 acre big and say it averages 6ft depth I'd need 900 lbs of aluminum to treat the water. Would I spray all 900 lbs of aluminum then 450 lbs of hydrated lime??? Or do 100 lbs of aluminum then 50 lbs of hydrated lime and repeat till I put all the aluminum and hydrated lime out??? just wondering cause I don't want to kill my fish I stocked a couple weeks ago cc and coppernose blue gill and fhm.
Looking good happy with results and not 1 dead fish... aluminum and hydrated lime is the way to go.id like to say thanks to rainman and Kelly duffie for the help
Fishintx, it looks great for now, but I fear all that exposed clay will have you muddy as ever after the first good rain again. Get those banks seeded fast and covered with straw!!!
winter rye finally coming in
Quite a change
© Pond Boss Forum