Pond Boss
OK... In 2004, I mowed my lake perimeter and island. Not long later, over 200 geese were counted on my island and it was a mess. In 2005, I didn't mow either the lake perimeter or the island and not as many geese were present. So... Even though it would look better mowed, I haven't mowed this year either. The recent cattail thread and reviewing some past Pond Boss magazines recently got me thinking...

Geese reportedly don't like stuff around lake edges which could hide predators. Would having cattails around the pond perimeter help minimize the numbers of geese and such?
I probably shouldn't interject here, since I'm no expert on waterfowl, but I know for a fact that around here the snow geese HATE ponds where they are secluded or their vision is hampered in any way. Snows love ponds where they can see for long distances in most every direction. How this relates to Canadas, I can't say.

Makes ya wonder...If I were a goose, and the pond I wanted to hang out on was surrounded by cattails, and there was a "Rangersedge dummy/scarecrow" barely visible amidst the vegeation....I would seriously think twice about staying. \:\)

Again, this is just kind of non-scientific speculation.
CW states geese (Canada and I guess Snow Geese) are deterred by waterside vegetation which would conceal predators. Your experiences add weight to that, Ranger and Bruce.
Canada Geese will use cattails for nesting material. They are more likely to use them on an island. Cattails will deter roosting geese, but may encourage nesters.
Canada geese like using a muskrat den (cattail mound) made out of cattails for nesting.
© Pond Boss Forum