Pond Boss
Posted By: Ervin Slender spike rush weed - 06/30/21 08:37 PM
I have a half acre pond with what been identified as slender spike rush weed, have anyone ever experience this or know how to get rid of it, I live in Ga.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Slender spike rush weed - 06/30/21 08:53 PM
Slender spike rush (Eleocharis) is a very beneficial marginal pond plant. IMO an excellent shoreline plant. Why do you want to kill it? 1. It stabilizes the wet, soft, muddy soil at the shoreline and significantly reduces shoreline erosion. 2. It helps maintain clearer water in the pond. 3. It stays at a short height almost always less than 1 ft tall. 4. It does not grow into nor invade very deep water usually 0" to 8" deep. 5. It has soft stems and is not harsh on hands and bare feet. 6. It tolerates dryness during summer and regrows when water level makes it wet again in fall / spring.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 06/30/21 08:55 PM
I have it my pond and from what I understand nothing will eat it.... royal pain in the B...
If your pond is shallow it will take over
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 06/30/21 08:58 PM
Bill I don’t think we are referring to the same plant, this stuff grows in 6’ of water and is totally submerged for the most part
There is only one pic in TAMU that is the right one
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 06/30/21 11:30 PM
Sorry Bill that was a google search not tamu they don’t show anything for slender spikerush
Posted By: esshup Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/01/21 03:38 PM
This stuff?

We have it here, but I don't know the scientific name It never gets taller than this.

[Linked Image from aquaplant.tamu.edu]
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/01/21 03:59 PM
Nope it grows underwater mostly, wish I could post pix with i phone....
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/01/21 04:11 PM
This is the plant that is commonly called slender spike rush aka needle spike rush - Eleocharis acicularis usually ankle high and grass like although the 'leaves" stems are round. There is a similar short stature spike rush called Blunt spike rush (aka Knob spike rush) Eleocharis obtusa; this one grows usually in segregated clumps not continuous mats. One has to have the name correct before properly dealing with most problematic plants.

Slender spike rush
https://www.marylandbiodiversity.com/view/1965

Blunt Spike rush
https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/grass-sedge-rush/blunt-spikerush
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/01/21 04:27 PM
I have lots of the tall spike rush around the perimeters of my ponds. It's about two and a half feet tall, more or less.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/01/21 04:46 PM
Bill look up Eleocharis Baldwinii
outdooralabama.com and there is a picture of it next to a dime.
This stuff will grow in 6’ of water in matts. Will grass carp eat it?
Posted By: esshup Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/01/21 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Bill look up Eleocharis Baldwinii
outdooralabama.com and there is a picture of it next to a dime.
This stuff will grow in 6’ of water in matts. Will grass carp eat it?

It's definitely not on their "preferred food" list, but then neither are cattails and a customer has TGC in his pond that are working on the cattails. Yes, he has way too many of the TGC in his pond. BUT, he wants absolutely 0 weeds in his pond, so all I can do is advise and they make the final decision - it's their pond after all.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/01/21 07:23 PM
Here is the pictures from Pat Williamson.
[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]
[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Attached picture IMG951166.jpg
Attached picture IMG951167.jpg
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/02/21 01:37 PM
Can anyone I’d this
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/04/21 02:23 PM
Thanks Rusto for posting the pictures of this pondweed. I guess no one knows what it is
Posted By: esshup Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/04/21 04:52 PM
Never seen it before.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/04/21 06:10 PM
Grows real thick and stringy. Thanks for the reply esshup. Hope someone knows what it is
Posted By: esshup Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/04/21 06:16 PM
Pat, have you looked at TAMU Aquaplant?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Slender spike rush weed - 07/04/21 08:23 PM
Yes and they show nothing. Google it and there is some info but not much. This stuff grows out into 5-6’ deep water but seems to only be 3’ off bottom. My neighbors pond is only 6’ deep and you can only fish 18” from the top at most
© Pond Boss Forum