Pond Boss
Posted By: Concerned Willows - 02/07/07 06:31 PM
Question -

Pond froze over and took the oppurtunity to chain saw all the willows that have grown up over the three years this pond has been around.
I realize they will grow back. If these are cut during tthe summer while growing, is it true that the pices that are are cut off will sprout if left to fall in the pond?
Is there a herbicide that can be used to kill these willows?

RGV
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Willows - 02/07/07 06:40 PM
 Quote:
If these are cut during tthe summer while growing, is it true that the pices that are are cut off will sprout if left to fall in the pond?
I sure think so. Willow branches that touch wet ground or pond bottom are real quick to put down roots at those spots.
Posted By: ewest Re: Willows - 02/07/07 08:27 PM
Try this link - and go to management options for the answers to your questions.

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/emergent_plants/willow.htm
Posted By: Beaver Boy Re: Willows - 02/08/07 12:35 AM
What are you doing with the stems that you cut in winter. Are they laying in places that they could root in once spring happens.

No willows around my pond, cattle keep them away. I would actually like willows surrounding a pond.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Willows - 02/08/07 02:21 AM
I use Remedy. It is deadly on willows.
Posted By: Concerned Re: Willows - 02/08/07 02:28 PM
No - We hauled them off and piled them in the woods.
I have used Remedy on fence lines - Is this OK to use around a pond?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Willows - 02/08/07 09:40 PM
Yeah, I try to keep as much as possible out of the water but don't worry all that much.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Willows - 02/25/07 07:49 PM
Although REMEDY is fine for applications above the water-line, I would suggest that it NOT be used for applications made directly to water-bodies. Besides being off-label for aquatic use, REMEDY is an ester formulation of triclopyr. As with all ester herbicides, direct applications to water should be avoided.

HABITAT is a very effective treatment for willows and many other emergent aquatic species.
© Pond Boss Forum