Pond Boss
Posted By: bob caro algae - 08/22/05 10:40 PM
I am new here so please bear with me. I have a form of algae in my pond that I don't know what to do with, it forms around the side and clings (mats) to the stones then breaks off and floats to the top, the color is a brown green. I have a windmill to supply air and add aquashade,I have used cutrine plus but with little or no effect. I have been skiming the floating mats out of the pond but it is an endless battle, I have never had this problem before and I am at my wits end.I have raked the stones along the side about three times but it keeps coming back and when I rake the stones they are black on the bottom side. I need some help in solving this problem.

Thanks Bob
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: algae - 08/24/05 01:48 AM
This discussion may have some helpful information for you. http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000034

The photographs (Links) in the above discussion are no longer active.

It might help if you can post a couple pictures of the offensive algae so all can see exactly what type of algae you have. A Close-up picture is beneficial. Others may have successfully dealt with the same problem.

To post pictures see-
http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001874
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: algae - 08/24/05 02:30 AM
If I may add something... This summer we have had weather of historical proportions regarding heat and days on end with no rain here in the midwest. I have seen filamentous algae in one of my ponds that I have never seen before. Ironically it's only temporary (comes and goes) and I do think this is all weather related.
Posted By: Tuzz Re: algae - 08/24/05 08:44 PM
We are seeing the same issues with the filamentateous algae too. Now also seeing algae that almost looks like green pollen dust. It has been desert dry hear and blazing hot. The heat finally broke but there is still noe hope for rain that would cause anyh runoff. The ground around our pond is so dry that it looks like fault lines away from the water area. It is baked dry and splitting I think because of the clay content. Time to learn how to do a rain dance.

Does any one know how to beat the algae down? We tried barley hay but I saw no real effect. Have been manually removing it around 3 of teh four sides a little at a time. My Golden retriever loves to eat it as he swims in the pond and it seems not to be a problem for him. He is like a canine "grass carp"
Posted By: Gainesjs Re: algae - 08/24/05 08:55 PM
I also think the alge problem is mostly due to extreme (rare) conditions. Central Missouri has not been this dry in twenty years. My lake is down two feet and has a ring of alge 10' wide around the circumference. I do not recall seeing any alge the year before. I expect it will be better nxt year so I am just going to take the wait and see approach.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: algae - 08/24/05 09:23 PM
Tuzz,
Sorry I can't help but the barley straw .. it's my understanding it is better used as a preventive measure early in the spring.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: algae - 08/24/05 09:24 PM
Gainesjs,

I agree with you completely. Years of observation have shown me that on my ponds, the less summer time rain, the more algae (BT, before Tilapia \:\) ). One good hard rain will help you tremendously.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: algae - 08/24/05 09:47 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Tuzz:
We are seeing the same issues with the filamentateous algae too. Now also seeing algae that almost looks like green pollen dust. It has been desert dry hear and blazing hot. The heat finally broke but there is still noe hope for rain that would cause anyh runoff. The ground around our pond is so dry that it looks like fault lines away from the water area. It is baked dry and splitting I think because of the clay content. Time to learn how to do a rain dance.

Does any one know how to beat the algae down? We tried barley hay but I saw no real effect. Have been manually removing it around 3 of teh four sides a little at a time. My Golden retriever loves to eat it as he swims in the pond and it seems not to be a problem for him. He is like a canine "grass carp"
I think manual removal is your only real option right now. However if it's not really bad I would be patient and wait for rain. Whenever we get rain here mine disapears as if it melted. Anyone know the mechanism for this? Cloud cover with less photosythesis, sunden drop in surface PH due to rain being more acidic? Sudden change in surface water chemistry due to the rain? Ideas?
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: algae - 08/24/05 11:56 PM
Cecil,

We had a discussion about this some time back (Bill C., Theo and myself) on here. I don't remember the exact post, but I think all agreed that rain would virtually eliminate it overnight.

I suggested that since that is the case, why doesn't someone take a water hose and spray the heck out of the algae to see if that would act like rain and disperse it. I would try it myself, but do not have any algae since Tilapia.

If you try it, Cecil, let us know what happens.
Posted By: bob caro Re: algae - 08/25/05 01:35 AM
I hope this help in iding this algae.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: algae - 08/25/05 01:54 AM
Looks like the run of the mill filmentous algae to me. Do you dye your water?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: algae - 08/25/05 02:58 AM
Cecil - I don't think it is typical filamentous green algae. It appears to be in "thinish" mats or spongy patches. It is probably pretty much dead / dying or declining growth phase when it floats to the surface. That is why rain or surface agitation easily breaks it apart and it sinks.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: algae - 08/25/05 03:52 AM
I agree Bill. Though the pic's resolution is low, it appears very similar to the benthic sheet-algae that we discussed awhile back (blue-greens) - and which we (my area) seem to be encountering with greater frequency this season.

I haven't fully mapped the variables that coincide with its appearance. However, as would be expected, nutrient-loading appears to be a major commonality. Maybe some "septic-tank microbes" [sic] will do some good...

As for the concept of rainfall providing any relief: Based on our area's recent abundance of frequent rainfall - don't count on it offering any benefit. A hard rain will often cause surface mats of algae to seemingly "disappear" - but only temporarily - since it only serves to dislodge the gas bubbles which provide boyancy for the floating mat. The mats have quickly returned to the surface after collecting enough gas bubbles to regain boyancy.
Posted By: Russ Re: algae - 08/25/05 11:59 AM
Bob and others,

Being a true greenhorn, I'm in no position to help with the ID of the algae but Kelly's post opened up the crypt to a long ago college memory that I thought I'd post. In one of my cartography classes, with the subject of the day "focusing" on cameras, the professor got off on a tangent related to an old college stunt he and a buddy pulled in class one day. He stated that the chemicals involved with photo developing displace air bubbles. For laughs, they bought a tub, some photo developer and a duck to class one day. After filling the tub with the photo juice, they set the duck in the tub. To everyones delight (minus the duck), the duck sank up to its neck.

I'm sure its not a good practice to spray algae mats with photo developer to get it to sink but if we have some photo buffs out there who would like to try this, I'd be interested in the results. At least it would lend credence to the duck story.

Russ
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: algae - 08/25/05 12:54 PM
I don't know Russ. Not sure I'd want to put those chemicals into my pond. \:\(
Posted By: bob caro Re: algae - 08/25/05 10:12 PM
Thanks to everyone for your constructive replys about the algae, the photo was the best I could do for what I have!! My concern now is what can be done to correct this problem. I do put aquashade in and use some cutrine plus,windmill for air,and I do have two grass carp in the pond. I need to get this pond back in shape.

Thanks
Bob
Posted By: Russ Re: algae - 08/27/05 11:12 AM
Cecil,

I concur with your thoughts about adding those chemicals to any pond. My thinking was more along the lines of taking some FA and adding it to developer just to see the results.

Russ
Posted By: bobad Re: algae - 08/27/05 02:45 PM
Russ,

It was probably a detergent or surfactant in the developer that made the duck sink. There are types of both that are harmless to fish. Thanks for the great idea!
© Pond Boss Forum