Pond Boss
Posted By: Lovnlivin Help with plant ID - 08/22/14 01:15 PM
After Fluridone treatments in '12 and '13 I'm finally getting some shoreline grasses/weeds but I'd like to know what's growing.

I've looked through hundreds of photos and sites and think one of the species is Torpedo grass, but the other with the flowering tops I can't ID.

Checking TAMU and other sites mentioned here I checked for Nebraska pond weeds and could only find Japanese Knotweed as being the closest but those leaves are more heart shaped than arrow shaped.

Any help would be appreciated and if you need better photos or more info please let me know.

Thanks!

Posted By: esshup Re: Help with plant ID - 08/22/14 01:37 PM
Look in the latest issue of the PB magazine. It looks the the plant that makes up the most % of waterfowl diets. wink (the one with the flowering tops)
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Help with plant ID - 08/22/14 03:50 PM
Thanks, Scott I'll check my latest issue when I get back home.
Posted By: esshup Re: Help with plant ID - 08/22/14 04:25 PM
Hint:

The flowers can be white, purplish or white/purplish mix. wink
Posted By: brook wilson Re: Help with plant ID - 08/22/14 05:16 PM
The flowering plant looks like smartweed to me.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Help with plant ID - 08/22/14 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Hint:

The flowers can be white, purplish or white/purplish mix. wink

Great, probably the most common weed found and I couldn't pick it out, out of all the photos and websites I've looked at crazy

Originally Posted By: brook wilson
The flowering plant looks like smartweed to me.

Looks like brook may have just given it away (oh, the irony) grin
Thanks Brook!
Posted By: esshup Re: Help with plant ID - 08/22/14 11:40 PM
I know, I know...... wink grin
Posted By: woodster Re: Help with plant ID - 08/23/14 11:33 AM
Smartweed is a favorite food of ducks, also may be how you got it. It does best on flood plain, or disturbed soil. When ever I do work on my pond it shows up but grasses will eventually out compete it. Personally I like it, hey you could have poison ivy instead right?
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Help with plant ID - 08/23/14 04:07 PM
My pond is/has been void of waterfowl, maybe because I'm out there daily but I would welcome some ducks.

As far as the Smartweed, it's pretty much surrounding the shallow shorelines now, mixed with torpedo grass and I see it as nothing but beneficial at this point for all the reasons I've read about and the fish seem to be taking advantage as well.

I'm very happy with the pond in every aspect right now (especially for what I started with 2 years ago). The pond's at full pool, forage is great, fishing is great, no FA, great bloom (12-18" clarity), BG, LMB, RES and HSB are growing nicely and best of all is the joy and peacefulness it offers just being near it.

This was taken last Saturday

I'm so thankful for of all the help and learning offered by the great folks on PB, to be able to share all this with family and friends, and sharing what I've learned to help others.

Truly blessed!
© Pond Boss Forum