Pond Boss
Posted By: bobbyc What is it and how do I get rid of it??? - 04/13/10 04:23 PM
This is the nasty green slime that you have to pull of your bait/hook every time you cast, well every time the kids cast and can't get their bait over the mess... There's about a 4-6ft. ring almost all the way around the pond! Any advice?? Thanks in advance!

thats filamentous algae (FA). usually seasonal, will probably go away on its own after water warms up, you could rake out some fishing lanes in it for now.
Posted By: Omaha Re: What is it and how do I get rid of it??? - 04/13/10 04:29 PM
Temporary fix Bobby, would you be able to rake some of it up?
Like the others said, rake it out. I just did that in one of my ponds after the wind had politely gathered most of it up against one area of the shoreline. Took a few minutes, but really not hard to do at all and certainly worth getting rid of the floating mats of it that I had.
Posted By: bobbyc Re: What is it and how do I get rid of it??? - 04/13/10 05:39 PM
Thanks for the help with this one guys! I guess I'll get to raking and see what happens with it. So I take it that it's fairly common and will maybe go away on it's own?
Posted By: Tewks Re: What is it and how do I get rid of it??? - 04/13/10 09:44 PM
Also looks like you have some american pondweed in there
Posted By: ewest Re: What is it and how do I get rid of it??? - 04/14/10 02:21 AM
Looks like a mix. Can you get a close up pic ? FA and PW.
Looks like FA and water primrose to me...
Posted By: jakeb Re: What is it and how do I get rid of it??? - 04/14/10 03:23 AM
It never goes away for me...
© Pond Boss Forum