Pond Boss
Posted By: The Deer Farm small pond in the heat of summer - 07/16/15 05:55 PM
Long time lurker...always just read posts. Now my own!!;)

small 1/4 wildlife pond I built last fall. ~~~7 foot in the deep end!! RAINWATER FED!!! Put in 100~~~ 5" to 7" channel cats. And 2lbs of fatheads. I have a solar powered deer feeder in its previous life that I use for daily dose of floating pellets. Pond stays full as we have been getting plenty of rain lately. BUT A MONTH AGO SAY A DEAD FISH...AND THIS WEEK 2 DEAD CATFISH they are about 12 to 13 inches now!!!... do I need aeration????
the pond is built in the woods and shady over half the day!!! But with 95 deg days...I am sure it is heating up ;(....I can run a 10/2 wire with ground on top of ground temporary to get power of I need to?....something I can use without running my power bill so much at CAMP!!! thanks!!!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: small pond in the heat of summer - 07/16/15 06:02 PM
Bottom and surface aeration both improve water quality. I would start with aeration. The problem is likely not heat but reduced water quality. Bottom aeration first and then surface aeration if the problem persists.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: small pond in the heat of summer - 07/16/15 06:20 PM
Congrats on your first post. Not speaking from experience but have read on here how much cheaper it is to bury an air line from the power source than it is to run wire. Lay your wire on the ground and most rodents will find and chew it.
Posted By: The Deer Farm Re: small pond in the heat of summer - 07/16/15 09:24 PM
thanks for the reply's !!! ok what model or style should I purchase?

I could run the air line underground as my brother has a ditch witch. Tell me what I need to order etc. ?? I appreciate the help!!!
Also what this going to cost to run per month electricity wise?? I do not live on property should I put it on a timer???
Posted By: RC51 Re: small pond in the heat of summer - 07/17/15 08:32 PM
Deer I don't live at my property either and I have mine on a timer yes. I run mine anywhere from 8 to 10 hours a night. Night is the most crucial time to run the air as your pond has even less D.O. at night and with it being hot as it is that is not helping. Remember warm water holds about half as much oxygen as cold water does.

I have a GAST 0523 1/3 hp pump and it runs me about 10 to 11 bucks a months give or take .50 cent. but a lot of that depends on what you get charged in your area per K. watt hour.

RC
© Pond Boss Forum