Pond Boss
Posted By: LarryHale Vertex system question - 05/31/17 11:36 AM
Hi all, I know the answer to this is probably NOT "it depends" so I'll ask it anyway.

I have a Vertex 1/3 hp aeration system with 2 diffusers that was installed 2 years ago that runs 24/7/365. I do quarterly filter changes and have noticed a steady decline in the turbulance in the water column above the diffusers this spring. When I changed the filter yesterday, I noticed that the pressure output at the compressor was only 4 psi. Is it time to order a rebuild kit for the compressor? Had a FA problem this year so should I also plan on pulling the diffusers and cleaning them?

I have another question, do I really need to run the compressor 24/7/365? My 1/3 acre pond is about 20 miles north of Savannah, GA so no winter ice over concerns. I understand the need to run during the summer to avoid a thermocline and low D.O., but is it really needed 24/7 during winter, spring, and fall? I'd really like to extend the time between compressor rebuilds.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Vertex system question - 05/31/17 11:41 AM
You should be cleaning the diffusers twice a year. If you haven't cleaned them yet that could be a big part of the problem.
Posted By: LarryHale Re: Vertex system question - 05/31/17 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
You should be cleaning the diffusers twice a year. If you haven't cleaned them yet that could be a big part of the problem.

Thank you sir, I was never informed of that by the company that installed the system.
Posted By: esshup Re: Vertex system question - 05/31/17 02:23 PM
Larry, I only clean them once a year. If the diffusers were to start plugging up, you would see more pressure at the compressor, not less. You might need a rebuild kit.

I don't think you "need" to run the aeration system when the water temp is below the low 50's providing the pond stays ice free.

If you have a boat to get out to where the deepest diffuser is placed, after a month of not running, go out there and have someone turn on the system. Smell the air near the diffuser. If it smells like rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide) when it is turned on, you need to run them at a more frequent interval. If the smell is there, you have to do the 15 min/30 min/60 min startup again.
Posted By: LarryHale Re: Vertex system question - 05/31/17 02:51 PM
Thanks for the input, esshup. I think I'll put aeration on a timer after water temps fall below 50 and run it a couple of hours a day. That should suffice for aeration and extend the time between compressor rebuilds significantly.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Vertex system question - 05/31/17 04:58 PM
my brother in law (without consulting me!!) bought this model compressor. 1/4hp, rocking piston I believe. I don't think this model came up before. He has weighted line and placed it at 25' depth.

If there is info about this on the forum please post link.

Stratus SRC 25 'Gen 2'

he says it only costs 40 cents to run it 24 hours!
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Vertex system question - 05/31/17 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
If the diffusers were to start plugging up, you would see more pressure at the compressor, not less. You might need a rebuild kit.

Duh... I totally mixed that up!!
© Pond Boss Forum