Pond Boss
Posted By: passgas55 check valve placement - 07/03/10 01:10 PM
Is it better to have your check valve close to your disc or close to your air pump? Also is a spring loaded inline check valve a good choice. I am thinking of a 1/2" or 3/4" to go with a LA80. Cracking pressure of .5 to .75 lbs.
Posted By: esshup Re: check valve placement - 07/07/10 06:21 PM
Personally, I'd want the check valve close to the pump, above the water line for easy service if necessary. I'd run the 3/4" one.
Posted By: Scott G. Re: check valve placement - 08/06/10 01:32 PM
Try to avoid using a check valve with a spring. They will fail quickly. Usually within a few months give or take. The only reason I would recommend using a check valve is if you are using a vane compressor. Not sure about the Thomas vanes, but I know the Gast may run in reverse if the power is turned off/on rather quickly. Its a rare occurence but may happen. I wouldnt recommend adding the check valve at the diffuser. Install it about 3' from the cabinet inline with the hose.If you have a hard time finding a check valve without a spring, give a Sue Cruz a call at Vertex Water Features and she can hook you up. We have them in stock here. Have a good weekend.
Posted By: RC51 Re: check valve placement - 08/06/10 04:34 PM
Some diffusers have built in check valves in them and you don't have to worry about it. Course if you wanted a backup check valve then I would put it up near the pump so you can mess with it need be without taking your diffuser up and out of the water like Esshup said.
Posted By: WaterWizard Re: check valve placement - 08/06/10 10:32 PM
If your compressor is above your high water mark, there is no need for a check valve. Funny thing about water...it doesn't flow uphill grin I agree that the spring valves are garbage and fall apart within a year. We use 1/3rd lb. installed near the compressor for easy access.
© Pond Boss Forum