Pond Boss
Posted By: Tyler D Old fish food - 08/25/22 05:43 PM
Just bought a bag of Zieglers fish food, got home and discovered it’s dated 2/21. It’s been stored in a dry, cool room in the feed store. Haven’t opened it yet but should I be concerned?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Old fish food - 08/25/22 05:51 PM
If you want to be able to 'return' it, I'd contact the store and tell them you're a bit concerned that it's old, and that if you open it and it seems funky, you're going to want to get your money back, or a bag of timely feed.

I've heard Lusk say that if the feed is discolored, then you don't want to use it. Now, I think he meant that if you see some feed that is colored differently out of a bag of feed, that means some of the feed is spoiling. I say that because if the entire bag of feed has changed color, you wouldn't be able to know that.
Posted By: Tyler D Re: Old fish food - 08/25/22 06:09 PM
Thank you Sunil, I’ll open it and see how it looks. Might also call Zieglers and see what they have to say.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Old fish food - 08/25/22 09:59 PM
Tyler, I would do what Sunil suggested about contacting the store. My thought is that I wouldn't feed a dog food that was a year and a half old. No fish food bags that I know of are air tight, so the contents have to age over time. Twinkies never go bad, but animal food does.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Old fish food - 08/25/22 10:53 PM
Tyler, good advice from Al; he knows about Twinkies!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Old fish food - 08/25/22 11:40 PM
I threw you a softball. You're welcome.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Old fish food - 08/26/22 02:37 AM
I know! I could have done more with it, but didn't want to abuse your recent weight gains.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Old fish food - 08/26/22 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tyler D
Just bought a bag of Zieglers fish food, got home and discovered it’s dated 2/21. It’s been stored in a dry, cool room in the feed store. Haven’t opened it yet but should I be concerned?

Tyler, my tipoff is gray or whitish splotches on the feed. Fungus. Happened to me big time when feed sacks were transported in heavy rain, as sacks are not waterproof.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Old fish food - 08/26/22 11:58 AM
My theory would be, I dont know if I would want to feed it if its that old, it almost at a minimum has to be inferior to fresh feed. Im not a fan of being picky but I would guess it cost the same amount as fresh feed.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Old fish food - 08/28/22 06:34 AM
The key is cool, dry storage. If it had been frozen or wet, I might say differently, But I think it's OK to use.
© Pond Boss Forum