Pond Boss
Posted By: Captain Jimbo Channel Cats in Aquariums - 04/29/03 01:13 AM
Will Channels eat mudminnows in an aquarium? From some reading I have ascertained that the best diet would be comprised of some live minnows and table scraps such as lettuce, tomatoes, and ground beef. Should the channel cat's diet be primarily vegies, meat, or a good balance between both?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Channel Cats in Aquariums - 04/29/03 02:10 AM
Catfish by my guess will not eat 2" mudminnows until the cats are about 8" to 9" long. 1" mudminnows maybe when cats are 4" to 6" long. Feed the small catfish fish sinking fish pellets from the pet store. If you can keep the ich off them, they will grow fairly fast. If growth stops or slows water quality is the cause.

I doubt the catfish will eat tomatoes or lettuce if other things are available such as worms, raw fish pieces, cooked or raw chicken or beef. Vegies will not supply adequate nutrition and protein. Remove uneaten food daily.

Instead of catfish consider raising bullheads. Yellow bullheads are a great aquarium fish. They will also be fairly predatory and a little more omnivorous. They will get big, require lower water quality, and will adapt to aquarium life better than catfish.
Posted By: Captain Jimbo Re: Channel Cats in Aquariums - 04/29/03 04:03 AM
Ok, thanks Bill. I was considering a tankmate for my walleyes. Two or three bullhead in the 260 gallon tank will work well, I think.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Channel Cats in Aquariums - 04/30/03 02:24 AM
Walleyes will not prefer tankmates.
Posted By: TyW33 Re: Channel Cats in Aquariums - 04/30/03 12:20 PM
260 gallon tank! you lucky dog.
© Pond Boss Forum