Pond Boss
Posted By: RB Blackshear Large pond and feeding? - 09/02/08 07:15 AM
Hello again,

As a few of you all know I just added 200 3-5 inch HSB to my buddy's pond and I would really like to supplement their diet with silver cup pellets (not sure of the %'s but will go to the fish farm tomorrow and see). The only dilemma I have is this pond is about 40 acres or so and I haven't the slightest idea of how to go about this. I was thinking I could throw out some food where I put the HSBs in at as I seen a couple still hanging around that area but then again if they all scattered would it just be a waste of money? Or would they eventually pick up on the scent and the act of me throwing feed out to them..

Thanks for putting up with me again \:\)

RB
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Large pond and feeding? - 09/02/08 12:16 PM
Check out Mr. Lusk's blog about the King Fisher's society.
Posted By: RB Blackshear Re: Large pond and feeding? - 09/02/08 04:58 PM
I couldn't find the blog. I tried to search and failed. ANyways I am on my way to pick up 100lbs of silvercup 45% protein 14% fat mix. Hopefully the fish will find it. I just don't know if the ideal feeding point would be where I released them or more towards the middle of the pond. I will try both I guess
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Large pond and feeding? - 09/02/08 06:08 PM
Try some different spots. Either the HSB will learn to eat where you feed, or you will learn to feed where they eat.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Large pond and feeding? - 09/02/08 06:40 PM
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124449#Post124449 was Mr. Lusk's post that I was talking about, specifically the link http://www.bass-maxx.com/ that had some nice video and excellent narration of the feeding but the site says it's temporarily down.

I read somewhere that the best place to feed it near the deepest part of the pond in open water. That's what I do, off my dock. The hybrid stripers almost always feed near the very center so if you don't have a dock near deep water I'd feed from the up-wind bank of the deepest water.
Posted By: RB Blackshear Re: Large pond and feeding? - 09/02/08 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I will first try the insertion point then the middle next wk
Posted By: RB Blackshear Re: Large pond and feeding? - 09/04/08 12:47 AM
Had a couple takers towards teh end of the cover where it opens into the main pond. Only saw 3 or 4 pellets taken. Not sure if they were BG or HSB. People weren't lying when they said it would be difficult to find the fish in a pond that big with the low numbers I stocked. I haven't seen any floating dead since the initial 3 even after I fished the whole pond for 8 hours. So hopefully there is still a decent number in there. I am working on getting larger ones to stock in there in the next couple weeks along with a bunch of BG and fatheads.
© Pond Boss Forum