Pond Boss
Posted By: Strauser Rock to prevent erosion - 09/06/11 02:28 PM
Hello All,
I have been reading your forum for probably two years now, and finally we begin contruction on our 1 acre pond next week! I have one question that we have been going back and forth on and need an experts advice. The pond will not be surrounded by trees or have any wind break. Should we line the banks with stone to prevent bank erosion or will the seeding of grass prevent most of this? Thanks in advance for your help
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rock to prevent erosion - 09/06/11 04:38 PM
I use both. Until the grass really gets established, you will have problems. Even after that you will find that water follows certain paths to get to its destination. That's where I place rocks to spread out and slow down the flow.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Rock to prevent erosion - 09/06/11 05:53 PM
First, congratulations on moving from a Long-Term-Lurker (LTL) to an active Pond Boss member. It would be great (an very appreciated) if you could post daily or weekly pictures, from the start of construction until you start catching fish. Your experience in starting, constructing, stocking, and early management of a pond can be incredibly invaluable to all who are planning this process.

I second what Dave said above. I have done lots to slow and spread water as it gets near my pond. I now have good grass growth around most of my pond, especially in areas of heavy water inflow. In those areas, I only mow a strip that is about 20 feet wide. Above that, I bush-hog once a year in August, when all the babies have become big enough to get out of the way of the tractor. Even then, I bush-hog at no less than a six inch height. I also leave a buffer between the area I mow, and the water's edge. It is a great survival area for a multitude of critters. Here is a link to how I mow: Mowing

In areas of major inflow, I've dug settlement ponds where the in-and-out are lined with rock dams. Again, it really slows and spreads the water, plus these areas capture a lot of debris.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

Ken
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Rock to prevent erosion - 09/06/11 06:06 PM
Plus, if you will extend the rip-rap down into the water slightly, it will help discourage tunneling by aquatic rodents.
Posted By: Strauser Re: Rock to prevent erosion - 09/06/11 06:15 PM
Thanks for the advice I will be sure to take these into consideration once they finish digging. I will be sure to post pictures of the entire process, I too have been inspired by what others have posted here and look forward to paying it forward! The test holes were dug on Sunday and found tons of clay, by morning, all three holes were 75% full of water. We have had around 2" of rain in 48 hours so I wasnt very suprised by this but never the less, a little reasuring!
© Pond Boss Forum